The best infrared forehead thermometer (no touch) can check for fever in less than 3 seconds and is the quickest and most convenient device for checking for fever in any baby, child, or adult.
When a person is ill, the ability to quickly and accurately determine their body temperature is important for evaluating their condition.
Are infrared forehead thermometers accurate? which one is best?
This post contains affiliate links.
We set out to find the most accurate, consistent, fast, and easy-to-read forehead (temporal artery) thermometers – of 2022.
Below you’ll find our top picks and our detailed forehead thermometer reviews.
Table of Contents
- Forehead Thermometer Accuracy
- The 6 Best Infrared Forehead Thermometers (2022)
- 1. Braun No Touch Forehead Thermometer Most Silent
- 2. iProven Thermometer Best Forehead & Ear Thermometer
- 3. Withings Thermo Smart Infrared Thermometer Best with App
- 4. iHealth No-Touch Forehead Thermometer Budget Pick
- 5. ThermoWorks Wand No Touch Thermometer Trending
- 6. Femometer Touchless Thermometer – Best Customer Service
- Are Infrared Forehead Thermometers Safe?
- Forehead Thermometers FAQ
Forehead Thermometer Accuracy
Temporal artery thermometers, known as forehead thermometers, use an infrared scanner to measure the temperature of the temporal artery in the forehead.
The latest research suggests that forehead infrared thermometers are the most accurate alternative to rectal digital thermometers for taking a child’s temperature. However, the environment around you may influence your skin temperature. The tested child/adult needs to be in the same room for 30 minutes if you want an accurate read.
Infrared thermometers can read a person’s temperature very quickly, are easy to use, safe, and easily tolerated by children and babies.
With some thermometers, you don’t even have to touch the skin to read the temperature, which makes them best for testing sleeping children – without waking them up and disturbing them.
They are the best fit for infants older than 3 months and older children, and according to the Mayo clinic, new research suggests that they may also be used for newborns.
Do you add a degree with a forehead thermometer?
User manuals report an accuracy of about 0.4 Fahrenheit degrees, which is not ideal, but all the accuracy in the world won’t help if you can’t use it on a temperamental child. A forehead (temporal) scanner is usually 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) lower than an oral temperature.
What is Considered a Fever When Using a Forehead Thermometer?
According to the Seattle children’s hospital, a forehead temperature of 100.4° F (38.0° C) or higher is considered a fever in both children and adults.
Checking for fever can be done in different parts of your body, including the armpit, mouth, ears, rectum, and forehead.
- An ear temp. is 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) higher than an oral temperature.
- An armpit (axillary) temperature is usually 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) lower than an oral temperature.
- A forehead (temporal) scanner is usually 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) lower than an oral temperature.
The 6 Best Infrared Forehead Thermometers (2022)
👉 In a Hurry? see the 6 best infrared forehead thermometers – below:
|Infrared Forehead Thermometer||Our Verdict/Rating||Price|
|iProven DMT-489||Best Forehead & Ear Thermometer|
Best for kids
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|Withings Thermo||Best with App|
History tracking for 8 people
|✅ $101 at Withings
Or Check Price on Amazon
|iHealth Forehead Thermometer||Best Seller on Amazon|
With quiet vibration alert
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
1-Second readings, accurate
|✅ $35 at ThermoWorks|
|Braun No Touch Forehead Thermometer||Most Silent|
Best for babies
|✅ $38 at Walmart
Our requirements for a forehead thermometer were simple: something fast, accurate, consistent, silent, and easy to read.
Here are the most accurate forehead thermometers for 2022:
1. Braun No Touch Forehead Thermometer Most Silent
The Braun No Touch thermometer offers a completely silent reading (best for sleeping children/babies) and speedy and reliable readings, thanks to the age and fever guidance built-in feature.
You simply turn it on, select the age range, position it on, or 2.5 cm away from the point between the eyebrows, and when the 3 dashed lines appear, you press the temperature button.
(The gentle guidance light directs you to accurate aiming)
When the infrared scanner is done (in 2 seconds!), you’ll see the appropriate fever light glow (green/yellow/red) to help you understand the temperature reading.
- No-touch option – measures temp. at a distance of to 2.5 cm
- Easy to use with a large, color-coded display
- Speedy – takes to seconds to check for fever
- Can also be used to test bath water and food temperature
- The tested individual should be in the same ambient temperature for at least 10 minutes – to get accurate readings
- Needs to be placed in a very specific place to get consistent readings (use the guidance light and follow instructions to avoid mistakes)
✅ Price – $38 on Walmart (free shipping)
2. iProven Thermometer Best Forehead & Ear Thermometer
The iProven new 2020 model doubles as both a forehead and an ear fever checker and offers fast and reliable readings for children (older than 6 months) and adults.
It easily switches from ear to forehead functionality and comes with a convenient and easy-to-read color-coded display (no guessing what’s considered as fever).
It takes just a second to get a reading in the ear, and less than 3 seconds to get it on the forehead.
Remember, ear temperature and temporal temperature are different, that’s why the iProven is specially calibrated for both forehead and ear measurements.
Here’s a short video demonstration of how to use the iProven:
iProven Thermometer Pros
- No guesswork – the color-coded display will let you know
- Accurate and consistent – built with the newest infrared lens technology
- Comes with a storage bag
- You can choose either Fahrenheit or Celsius temp. reading
- 100-day money-back guarantee
- The thermometer needs at least 30 minutes to acclimate to room temperature
- You cannot silence the beep at the end, may disturb sleeping children
✅ Price – check today’s price on Amazon
3. Withings Thermo Smart Infrared Thermometer Best with App
The popular Withings Thermo temporal thermometer has 16 infrared sensors that take more than 4000 measurements for a highly accurate result (clinical accuracy: ±0.2°C (±0.4°F) – without any contact.
The ultra-fast reading is displayed with a color-coded fever indicator, and it comes with an app that helps you track the data from every measurement, along with health advice (from Boston’s Children’s Hospital) that appears in the app automatically.
Readings appear illuminated on the device and the LED indicator tells you if the temperature is normal, elevated, or high – based on the age of the user.
Up to 8 people can use the Withings Thermo app and access their personal temperature history – which can be quickly shared with a health professional.
And, the batteries last for 2 years!
Withings Thermo Pros
- No need to calculate fever by age – the color-coded LED display indicated if there is a fever – according to the age of the user
- Temperature tracking – comes with an app that can track up to 8 users’ data, with health advice from the Boston Children’s Hospital
- Batteries last for years
- Accurate thermometer and reliable, with consistent readings
- Fever reduction medication dosage appears automatically on the app, according to the user’s age and temperature
- Some users say that the app is a bit difficult to set up
4. iHealth No-Touch Forehead Thermometer Budget Pick
The iHealth infrared digital forehead thermometer is quick and easy to use, and you only need to point it to the forehead and one push of a button to get an accurate reading – in 1 second.
It’s the lowest cost forehead thermometer on this list, and the #1 best seller on Amazon.
When the reading is done, the iHealth Thermometer gently vibrates, instead of an annoying beep sound.
The highly sensitive temporal thermometer takes about 100 readings per second while the additional environmental and distance sensors make the adjustments to give you an accurate reading.
- #1 best seller on Amazon
- Reads temperature in 1 second
- Vibrates when reading is done
- Accurate and consistent readings
- Large LCD display and lights up in the dark
- Recommended by nurses and Consumer Reports
- Great value for the money
- You’ll need to point it to the center of the forehead to get the most accurate result.
✅ Price – check today’s price on Amazon
5. ThermoWorks Wand No Touch Thermometer Trending
The ThermoWorks Wand (FDA-cleared) is a non-contact, easy-to-use, and reliable infrared scanner thermometer – that gives you a reading in 1 second.
The Wand is accurate to ±0.4°F across the range of human temperatures, it has a high-temperature alert and mute setting, a bright LED backlight and it will store your last 25 readings.
However, you have to make sure you are pointing the wand as close to the middle of the forehead, to get the most accurate and consistent readings (demonstrated below).
✅ Price – $35 at ThermoWorks
6. Femometer Touchless Thermometer – Best Customer Service
The Femometer forehead thermometer is very simple to use and gives measurement results in just one second. It has a large LCD display, with 3 backlight indicators. A high temperature will be accompanied by a warning beep.
You can easily switch between Faranheight and Celsius, it shuts off automatically when not used, and you can get an accurate read even at a 1.2 inches distance.
And the accuracy? according to consumer testimonials, the result is very similar to the result from the ear temperature reader with an error within 0.1 degrees celsius.
However, this thermometer also has a setting for object temperature check (such as milk or other products), so you have to make sure you are using the correct human setting to avoid getting the wrong read. Also, you have to wait 5-6 seconds between different readings.
✅ Price – check the price on Amazon (buyers praise the excellent customer service of the vendor)
Are Infrared Forehead Thermometers Safe?
Infrared forehead thermometers do not emit any kind of electromagnetic radiation, they only measure infrared heat to determine your temperature. The red beam coming out of the thermometer is visible and harmless and is made to guide the person taking your temperature to the right spot – for an accurate read.
There is no evidence of any side effects or risk of using a forehead thermometer, which allows for a quick, non-contact, and easy way to read your body temperature. For more information see this post.
Forehead Thermometers FAQ
What is a Normal Temperature on the Forehead?
The average normal oral temperature is 98.6°F (37°C), while the forehead (temporal) scanner is usually 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) lower than an oral temperature.
How Do You Use a Forehead Thermometer?
If you have a no-touch forehead thermometer, you simply position the device in the center area between the eyebrows, at a 2.5 cm distance.
The thermometer will indicate when the reading is done. With a contact forehead thermometer, you’ll need to slowly slide the thermometer across the forehead toward the top of the ear, until the device indicates the reading is done.
What’s Better – Ear or Forehead Thermometer?
Each of these infrared thermometers has its pros and cons. The ear thermometer can give you more accurate readings with older children who do not mind feeling the probe in their ears. For younger children, the forehead thermometer is ideal as it is gentle and non-intrusive.
To your health and happiness,
If you are a nurse or any caregiver, you may be interested in the best infrared vein finder as well! 😍
Allegaert K, Casteels K, van Gorp I, Bogaert G. Tympanic, infrared skin, and temporal artery scan thermometers compared with rectal measurement in children: a real-life assessment. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp. 2014;76:34–38. Published 2014 May 8. doi:10.1016/j.curtheres.2013.11.005
Panagiotis Kiekkas PhD, RN, et al., Agreement of infrared temporal artery thermometry with other thermometry methods in adults: systematic review, https://doi.org/10.1111/jocn.13117