Can laser hair combs really stimulate hair regrowth and reduce hair loss?
The honest answer is:
Not for everyone.
Laser combs are proven to improve hair growth for anyone who has live hair follicles in their scalp.
Those who do not – may not benefit from this effective, natural, non-invasive and cost-effective hair loss treatment.
This infrared heated comb can help both men and women with various degrees of hair loss, whether from hormonal imbalance or Androgenetic Alopecia.
It can save you a ton of money on a hair growth clinic or dermatologist clinic.
How do you find the best laser hair comb – for the best price?
How do laser combs work? What is Low-Level Laser? How long until you see results?
The answers are all in this buying guide, with detailed reviews for the 4 BEST laser combs in 2018.
- 1 Overview: The 4 Best Laser Combs (2019)
- 2 What’s a Laser Comb?
- 3 The Top 4 Laser Hair Combs
- 4 Do Laser Combs WORK (and Are They Safe)?
- 5 Laser Combs FAQ
Overview: The 4 Best Laser Combs (2019)
If you’re in a hurry, here’s a short and clear comparison table, with details about the highest quality laser hair brushes.
|Hairmax Ultima 12|
|12 lasers - 650 nm|
|Treatment Time||8 minutes, 3 times a week
|Price||Check on Official Website|
|Hairmax Ultima 9|
|9 lasers - 650 nm|
|Treatment Time||11 minutes, 3 times a week
|Price||Check on official website|
|12 lasers - 655 nm|
|Treatment Time||8 minutes,
3 times a week
|Price||Check on Amazon|
|20 LEDs - 660 nm|
|Treatment Time||Up to 20 minutes daily
|Price||Check on Amazon|
What’s a Laser Comb?
A laser comb is basically an infrared (Low-Level Laser) heated hair brush.
Laser sounds like something that can burn a hole through your head, but laser brushes use Low-Level Laser that won’t burn your scalp and are perfectly safe.
The infrared light stimulates hair follicles (via photobiostimulation) and “wakes them up” back into the hair growth cycle (known as the Anagen phase).
Here’s what happens:
- The process naturally increases ATP and keratin production, which are the enzymes responsible for delivering energy to living cells, including hair follicles.
- LLLT increases local blood circulation, which speeds up and promotes delivery of key nutrients for growing new, strong and healthy hair.
Thicker, stronger, fuller and healthier hair growth, and reduced hair thinning and loss.
(And a little-known bonus: An infrared comb can be very helpful for scalp eczema and itching. This wavelength is proven to reduce skin redness and itching)
Want to know more about how it works? Check out my post about LLLT for hair loss.
And now, let’s see the 4 best laser combs for hair regrowth, in 2019:
The Top 4 Laser Hair Combs
Since the HairMax laser comb series is the most popular one, we’ll start with them:
1. HairMax Ultima 9 LaserComb
As the name suggests, the HairMax comb comes with 9 medical-grade lasers (no LEDs) and delivers light energy (650 nm) to your hair follicles – to treat hair loss and regrow your hair.
HairMax claims you can see visible results within 12-16 weeks, but you should know that you do have to continue to use the LaserComb to keep the hair growth results.
If you stop using it, your hair loss will gradually revert back to what it was before starting treatment.
- Treatment time: 11 minutes, 3 times a week
- Wavelength: 650 nanometers.
HairMax Ultima 9 Pros
- The rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery is made to last for 10 years (it comes with a charging cradle)
- 2-year warranty on the device, including the battery
- 90-day money back guarantee (it’s enough time to see if it works for you)
- Easy to use, cordless and lightweight – perfect for travel as well
- Feels soothing when you use it
- Amazing feature: It beeps every 4 seconds to remind you to move it 1/2 inch further. Beeping can be turned off.
- you can use any international power adapter with it
- Comes with a quick start guide and a full user manual
- Excellent customer service
- Comes with HairMax shampoo and conditioner, scalp treatment and vitamins
- 12-minute treatment time. It takes patience and willpower to keep combing your hair for 15 minutes.
✅ HairMax Prima 9 Best Price
Right now, you can get $100 OFF the price with our special coupon code LCRegrow9 – on the official website HERE.
2. HairMax Ultima 12
HairMax has more model, which only differs in how many lasers it has (laser strength and wavelength is equal for all devices)
The more lasers the device has, the less treatment time it requires.
The Ultima 9 has 9 medical-grade lasers and requires 11 minutes of treatment time.
The Ultima 12 requires half the treatment time of the Prima 7 – only 8 minutes.
It also has an LCD monitor to track elapsed treatment time.
Obviously, the more lasers the device has – the higher the price.
3. NutraStim Laser Hair Comb
The NutraStim electronic comb is a handheld, cordless and easy to use laser comb – designed and assembled in the USA.
It includes 12 lasers and requires only 8 minutes of treatment 3 times a week, and users can expect to see visible hair regrowth after 4-6 months.
Wavelength: 655 nanometers.
The NutraStim laser hair comb manufacturers claim their device is FDA cleared an as over the counter class II medical device.
So if you have a lot of hair loss, or almost no hair loss – this one’s not for you.
- Lightweight, portable (cordless), fit for travel
- Comes with additional universal AC adapter.
- Easy to use
- 1-year warranty, 6-month money back guarantee.
- Automatic shut off after 8 minutes
- Good customer service
- Charges fast
- Limited use – lifespan is 500 cycles
✅ NutraStim Best Price
Compared to the HairMax Prima 7 and the Body Essentials, this one is the most expensive one. But, Check this page on Amazon to see the price, maybe there’s a good sale price today.
4. Body Essentials Light & Massage Therapy Hairbrush
This light therapy & massage hair brush uses LED light therapy (20 bulbs) and gentle massage to promote healthy hair growth and has 184 flexible steel bristles with ball tips, which feel like a real, regular hair brush.
(It’s not rechargeable, it’s powered by 2 AA batteries)
This Light Therapy Comb is much cheaper than the HairMax series.
We believe that it’s cheaper due to using LED lights instead of laser beams, and because it’s not rechargeable.
(This doesn’t mean it’s not effective – LEDs and lasers are both effective, as long the wavelength and intensity is right).
Also: it has a massage feature, which also promotes blood circulation in your scalp and is a great bonus.
Wavelength: 660 nanometers
Treatment time: 20 minutes max, 3 – 6 times a week
Body Essentials Heat & Massage Brush Pros
- Massage action detangles hair
- Versatile – you can use the LEDs only, massage only, or both
- From what I’ve found here, many people have found it helpful for scalp eczema, redness, and itching.
- 1-year warranty
- The Batteries only last for 6 hours of use
- Not FDA-cleared
- No clinical trials
✅ Body Essentials Best Price
Check this page on Amazon for today’s price. If it’s less than $60 – you’re in luck.
Do Laser Combs WORK (and Are They Safe)?
Let’s start with science:
Through our research, the only laser combs ever tested clinically are the FDA-cleared HairMax Laser hair combs.
A total of seven double-blind studies (studies listed at the end of the post), involving more than 450 male and female subjects, were conducted on the HairMax LaserComb at several research facilities, including the University of Minnesota and the University of Miami.
All subjects (ages 25-60) suffered from Androgenetic Alopecia for at least a year.
Through the study, they used the HairMax for 8-15 minutes, 3 times a week – for 26 weeks.
As for safety – no side effects were reported in all studies.
This sounds amazing, right?
Through our research, we’ve found that if you are not consistent with laser biostimulation treatment – your chances of benefiting from it are significantly reduced.
You must remember that growing new and strong hair is a long-term process which will take a few months of patience and persistence.
Is it worth it?
I think you can imagine the answer to that.
How Do You Use a Laser Hair Brush?
You simply pass the comb slowly over the scalp area where you suffer from hair loss or thinning hair – about three times a week for 8-15 minutes each time (treatment time depends on the device – more details below).
I recommend that you use it on a clean scalp, free of any styling products, excess oils, gels, and sprays – as they can block the light from reaching your hair follicles
If you feel you won’t be able to slowly comb your hair for 8-15 minutes 3 times a week – consider using a laser cap (hair growth helmet) instead.
Treatment time is longer but it’s completely hands-free and effortless.
👉See the top 3 (FDA-cleared) Laser Caps HERE.
Find out what’s better: laser helmets or laser combs?
Laser Combs FAQ
Through our research we’ve found quite a few questions about hair growth combs, here are the answers to the most common ones:
1. How Long Does It Take for a Laser Comb to Work?
Through our research, I’ve found that it takes from 12 to 16 weeks to see visible to full results.
But like I’ve said, you’ll need to be consistent with it.
If you give it up before (at least) 2 months of treatment, your chances of success are significantly reduced.
To keep the hair growth results, you’ll need to continue treatment indefinitely, but less often.
2. Are There any Side Effects from Using Laser Brushes?
Low-Level Laser Technology is proven safe by many studies over the past 40 years.
Just like with any other treatment, overuse will not accelerate the hair regrowth process, and may even slow it down.
Some users report a temporary shedding of fine vellus hairs. This is normal new, stronger hairs will replace them.
3. Can Laser Combs be Used with Minoxidil?
Yes, laser combs can be used along with any other hair growth treatment, and will likely enhance them.
Many hair loss clinics use both because they believe that synergistic results occur.
Minoxidil should be used as directed twice a day, and the laser combs 3 times a week.
Use the LLLT device first and then the Minoxidil.
4. Which Shampoos Can Be Used Along with Laser Combs?
I recommend using sulfate-free shampoos because sulfate or other irritants (such as SLS) can contribute to hair loss.
5. What should you do if feel you won’t be consistent enough?
If you are concerned that you won’t be able to slowly comb your hair for 8-15 minutes 3 times a week – consider the 2 best alternatives:
1. HairMax laser band – only 90 seconds per treatment and hands-free
2. Laser Cap (hair growth helmet) – longer treatment time but hands-free and effortless. See the top 3 FDA-cleared laser caps HERE.
Low-Level Laser technology for hair regrowth is gaining huge traction – more and more each year, for good reasons:
- It’s proven to be effective and works for most people with live hair follicles
- It’s natural, non-invasive and painless
- And if you use a home device instead of clinic treatments, it’s money-saving and cost-effective.
You’ve just found the top rated laser hair growth handheld devices on the market, fully reviewed and compared, to help you make the best decision for your home hair growth treatment.
And now over to you:
Do you have any questions or comments? I promise to answer everyone.
To your health and happiness,
- Efficacy and Safety of a Low-level Laser Device in the Treatment of Male and Female Pattern Hair Loss.
- Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in Females, 12 Beam Laser Therapy.
- HairMax LaserComb Laser Phototherapy Device in the Treatment of Male Androgenetic Alopecia.
- Hair Regrowth and Increased Hair Tensile Strength Using HairMax LaserComb for Low-Level Laser Therapy
- Low-level laser therapy and hair regrowth