Can a laser hair comb really stimulate hair regrowth and reduce hair loss?
The honest answer is:
Not for everyone.
Those who do not – may not benefit from this effective, natural, non-invasive, and cost-effective hair loss treatment.
The laser hair growth comb can help both men and women with various degrees of hair loss , whether from hormonal imbalance or Androgenetic Alopecia.
It can save you a ton of money on a hair growth clinics or dermatologist visits.
What’s the Best Laser Comb for hair growth – of 2021?
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
How do laser light combs work? What is a Low-Level Laser? How long until you see results?
The answers are all in this buying guide, with detailed reviews for the 4 BEST laser combs of 2021.
Table of Contents
The 4 Best Laser Hair Combs (2021 Reviews)
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 2 picks.
|HairMax Ultima 12|
👉 Jump to Review
|12 lasers @650 nm||8 minutes x 3 times a week||Save 10% with coupon code NEWYOU10 - at HairMax!
6 months trial
|HairMax Ultima 9|
👉 Jump to Review
|9 lasers @650 nm||11 minutes x 3 times a week||Save 10% with coupon code NEWYOU10 - at HairMax!
6 months trial
And now, let’s see the 4 best laser brushes for hair loss:
Since the HairMax laser comb series is the most popular one, we’ll start with HairMax reviews:
1.🥇 HairMax Ultima 12 Best Value
HairMax has two more models, that only differ in how many lasers they have (laser strength and wavelength is equal for all devices).
The more lasers, the less treatment time you’ll need. The Ultima 12 requires only 8 minutes of treatment – 3-4 times a week.
It also has an LCD monitor to track elapsed treatment time.
And if you want the shortest treatment – the HairMax laser hair treatment time Laser Band requires only 1.5 minutes of treatment!
Obviously, the more lasers the device has – the higher the price.
✅ HairMax Ultima 12 Cost – use coupon code NEWYOU10 to get 10% off – at HairMax
2. HairMax Ultima 9 Classic LaserComb
As the name suggests, the HairMax comb comes with 9 medical-grade lasers (no LEDs) and delivers light energy (650 nm) to your hair follicles – to treat hair loss and regrow your hair.
HairMax claims you can see visible results within 12-16 weeks , but you should know that you do have to continue to use the LaserComb to keep the hair growth results.
If you stop using it, your hair loss will gradually revert back to what it was before starting treatment.
- Treatment time: 11 minutes, 3 times a week
- Wavelength: 650 nanometers.
HairMax Ultima 9 Pros
- The rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery is made to last for 10 years (it comes with a charging cradle)
- 2-year warranty on the device, including the battery
- 6-months money-back guarantee (it’s enough time to see if it works for you)
- Easy to use, cordless, and lightweight – perfect for travel as well
- Feels soothing when you use it
- Amazing feature: It beeps every 4 seconds to remind you to move it 1/2 inch further. Beeping can be turned off.
- you can use any international power adapter with it
- Comes with a quick start guide and a full user manual
- Excellent customer service
- Comes with HairMax shampoo and conditioner, scalp treatment, and vitamins
- 12-minute treatment time. It takes patience and willpower to keep combing your hair for 15 minutes.
✅ HairMax Ultima 9 Cost – Check today’s price at HairMax
3. NutraStim Laser Hair Comb Review
The NutraStim electronic comb is a handheld, cordless, and easy-to-use laser comb – designed and assembled in the USA.
It includes 12 lasers and requires only 8 minutes of treatment 3 times a week, and users can expect to see visible hair regrowth after 4-6 months.
Wavelength: 655 nanometers.
The NutraStim laser hair comb manufacturers claim their device is FDA cleared an as over the counter class II medical device.
So if you have a lot of hair loss, or almost no hair loss – this one’s not for you.
- Lightweight, portable (cordless), fit for travel
- It comes with an additional universal AC adapter.
- Easy to use
- 1-year warranty, 6-month money-back guarantee.
- Automatic shut off after 8 minutes
- Good customer service
- Charges fast
- Limited use – lifespan is 500 cycles
✅ NutraStim Cost – Compared to the HairMax Prima 7 and the Body Essentials, this one is the most expensive one. But, Check this page on Amazon to see the price, maybe there’s a good sale price today.
4. Body Essentials Light & Massage Therapy Hairbrush
This light therapy & massage hairbrush uses LED light therapy (20 bulbs) and gentle massage to promote healthy hair growth and has 184 flexible steel bristles with ball tips, which feel like a real, regular hairbrush.
(It’s not rechargeable, it’s powered by 2 AA batteries)
This Light Therapy Comb is much cheaper than the HairMax series.
We believe that it’s cheaper due to using LED lights instead of laser beams, and because it’s not rechargeable.
(This doesn’t mean it’s not effective – LEDs and lasers are both effective, as long the wavelength and intensity is right).
Also: it has a massage feature, which also promotes blood circulation in your scalp and is a great bonus.
Wavelength: 660 nanometers
Treatment time: 20 minutes max, 3 – 6 times a week
Body Essentials Heat & Massage Brush Pros
- Massage action detangles hair
- Versatile – you can use the LEDs only, massage only, or both
- From what I’ve found here, many people have found it helpful for scalp eczema, redness, and itching.
- 1-year warranty
- The Batteries only last for 6 hours of use
- Not FDA-cleared
- No clinical trials
✅ Body Essentials Cost – Check this page on Amazon for today’s price. If it’s less than $60 – you’re in luck.
Do Laser Combs Work?
A laser brush for hair growth is basically an infrared (Low-Level Laser) heated hairbrush. Though Laser sounds like something that can burn a hole through your head, actually, laser brushes use Low-Level Laser that won’t burn your scalp and are perfectly safe.
The infrared light stimulates hair follicles (via photobiostimulation) and “wakes them up” back into the hair growth cycle (known as the Anagen phase).
Here’s what happens:
- The process naturally increases ATP and keratin production, which are the enzymes responsible for delivering energy to living cells, including hair follicles.
- LLLT increases local blood circulation, which speeds up and promotes the delivery of key nutrients for growing new, strong, and healthy hair.
Thicker, stronger, fuller and healthier hair growth, and reduced hair thinning and loss.
(And a little-known bonus: An infrared comb can be very helpful for scalp eczema and itching. This wavelength is proven to reduce skin redness and itching)
👉 Want to know more about how it works? Check out my post about red light therapy for hair loss.
Laser Comb Side Effects
Through our research, the only laser combs ever tested clinically are the FDA-cleared HairMax Laser hair combs. No side effects were reported in all HairMax studies.
A total of seven double-blind studies (studies listed at the end of the post), involving more than 450 male and female subjects, were conducted on the HairMax LaserComb at several research facilities, including the University of Minnesota and the University of Miami.
All subjects (ages 25-60) suffered from Androgenetic Alopecia for at least a year.
Through the study, they used the HairMax for 8-15 minutes, 3 times a week – for 26 weeks.
How to Use Use a Laser Hair Comb
To get the best hair growth results, you simply pass the comb slowly over the scalp area where you suffer from hair loss or thinning hair – about three times a week for 8-15 minutes each time (treatment time depends on the device). Use it on a clean scalp, free of any styling products, excess oils, gels, and sprays – as they can block the light from reaching your hair follicles
If you feel you won’t be able to slowly comb your hair for 8-15 minutes 3 times a week – consider using a laser cap (hair growth helmet) instead.
Treatment time is longer but it’s completely hands-free and effortless.
Low-Level Laser technology for hair regrowth is gaining huge traction – more and more each year, for good reasons:
- It’s proven to be effective and works for most people with live hair follicles
- It’s natural, non-invasive, and painless
- And if you use a home device instead of clinic treatments, it’s money-saving and cost-effective.
You’ve just found the top-rated laser hair growth handheld devices on the market, fully reviewed and compared, to help you make the best decision for your home hair growth treatment.
And now over to you:
Do you have any questions or comments? I promise to answer everyone.
To your health and happiness,
Jimenez JJ, Wikramanayake TC, Bergfeld W, et al. Efficacy and safety of a low-level laser device in the treatment of male and female pattern hair loss: a multicenter, randomized, sham device-controlled, double-blind study. Am J Clin Dermatol. 2014;15(2):115–127. doi:10.1007/s40257-013-0060-6
Leavitt, M., Charles, G., Heyman, E. et al. HairMax LaserComb® Laser Phototherapy Device in the Treatment of Male Androgenetic Alopecia. Clin. Drug Investig. 29, 283–292 (2009).
International Journal of Cosmetic Surgery and Aesthetic Dermatology.Aug 2003.113-117.http://doi.org/10.1089/153082003769591209
Zarei, M., Wikramanayake, T.C., Falto-Aizpurua, L. et al. Low level laser therapy and hair regrowth: an evidence-based review. Lasers Med Sci 31, 363–371 (2016).