When Jessica Alba, Kourtney Kardashian, and Kate Hudson all posted an Instagram photo of themselves during an LED face mask session, I was intrigued, to say the least.
I already have (and love) my handheld LED light therapy home device, and I already know it works great for wrinkles, sagging skin, and acne.
The idea of treating my entire face at the same time seemed like a major upgrade.
(Even if I look like a Star Wars stormtrooper while I’m at it)
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
So I went ahead and did my own extensive research, to find everything about LED facial masks.
If you are looking for the highest quality and most effective LED light therapy masks, you’ve come to the right place.
👉 In a Hurry?
See our top picks for LED light therapy masks (for wrinkles/acne/skin glow and more), or jump to the full LED face masks reviews – below!
|Aduro LED Mask|
|Programmable LED mask!|
8 colors + Infrared
|Most versatile & comfortable
✅ Save $20 with coupon code MEITAL20 -
on the official site!
|Current Body LED Mask||50 LEDs|
Red & Infrared
✅ $345 at Current Body
Use coupon code CBMEITAL to get a free LED mirror (worth £59.99)
|Project E Beauty LED Mask||149 LEDs|
✅ Use coupon code MEITAL05 -
on the official site!
|Dr. Dennis Gross DRx Facewear||162 LEDs|
Red & blue
✅ $435 at Dermstore
|ECO FACE LED Face Mask||120 LEDs|
Red & Infrared
|Popular on Amazon
✅ Check Price on Amazon
|Newkey LED Face Mask||150 LEDs|
|Best for Acne
✅ Check Price on Amazon
Table of Contents
- 1 What is an LED Face Mask?
- 2 The 7 Best LED Face Masks for Anti-Aging & Acne [2022 Reviews]
- 2.1 1. Aduro LED Mask Top Pick
- 2.2 2. Current Body LED Mask Celebrity Favorite
- 2.3 3. Project E Beauty LED Facial Mask Best Budget
- 2.4 4. Dr. Dennis Gross DRx FaceWare Pro Best Design
- 2.5 5. New Project E Beauty 7 Colors LED Mask Best with Neck Attachment
- 2.6 6. ECO FACE LED Photon Mask
- 2.7 7. Newkey LED Light Therapy Mask Best for Acne
- 2.8 8. Angel Kiss LED Mask
- 3 Do LED Light Masks Work?
- 4 LED Face Masks Side Effects
- 5 How Often Should You Use an LED Mask?
What is an LED Face Mask?
LED facial masks (photo face masks) use color light therapy (UV-free) in specific wavelengths via tiny LED bulbs to increase facial blood circulation and promote collagen production, skin healing, and acne reduction.
The best LED masks include at least 2 important wavelengths: red (630 nm) and blue (415 nm).
The red LED treatments are scientifically proven to stimulate collagen and elastin production by increasing local blood circulation. The results:
1. Plumped, glowing skin immediately after treatment
2. Fewer wrinkles, fine lines, and sagging skin after about 2 weeks
3. Faster healing of acne, reduced inflammation
(👉 See the 4 proven red light therapy skin benefits)
The blue rays are proven to kill acne-causing bacteria (up to 80% of them to be exact), which results with:
1 Speedy elimination of acne breakouts
2. Prevention of new acne breakouts
The strength of the light is the key to success.
The weaker (and less expensive) LED facial masks still work, but they require more time and patience before you see the results.
The 7 Best LED Face Masks for Anti-Aging & Acne [2022 Reviews]
What’s the best LED light therapy facial mask – of 2022?
According to some certified aestheticians, the best LED facial mask is the Korean Deesse Premium pro LED Mask (also recommended by celebrity esthetician Shani Darden), which rings in at $1,900.
But, is it worth the crazy high price?
👉 See our post – Is The Deesse pro LED Mask Worth Its Price?
Since some of us can’t afford this price, I’ve found the 7 best alternatives, for a much lower price. These LED mask kits are just as “pro” but may require a bit more “work” before you see the results.
1. Aduro LED Mask Top Pick
The Aduro 7+1 LED facial mask kit has 4 unique qualities that make it one of the best LED light therapy face masks on the market.
1. It is flexible and lightweight – it is made with medical silicone and not hard plastic (like most masks) that can be heavy on your face, uncomfortable, and damage your skin.
2. It is a Programmable LED Mask – It has a pre-programming feature for specific skin problems – you can choose from 11 different treatments on the mask’s controller (for example – wrinkle reducer/acne-buster/red away/pain blocker/skin balancer/quick fix and more!).
This saves a lot of time and confusion about the right color treatment time you need.
3. It’s the only mask that includes infrared (invisible) wavelength – which penetrates deeper into the skin for boosted healing, inflammation reduction, and pain relief.
4. 100% portable – It has a rechargeable battery, which lasts for 4 X 20-minute treatment sessions. You can move around and do whatever you like during treatment. The head straps will keep it on in place.
The 11 wavelengths are red, blue, green, light green, light orange, light blue, purple, light red, purple-blue, Turquoise-blue, and infrared.
Here’s me with my mask:
✅ Price – This one is more expensive than the other masks on this list, but we think it’s well worth the price.
2. Current Body LED Mask Celebrity Favorite
It seems that the Current Body LED mask has become the new choice of beauty experts, elite makeup artists, and celebrities such as Carey Mulligan, Renée Zellweger, and Gal Gadot – all raving about this flexible and easy-to-use LED face mask.
That’s why I had to try it myself, and here’s why I’m loving it:
This LED mask is made with high-quality silicone that is fully flexible, which allows for the direct contact of the 50 LEDs (red & infrared wavelengths) with the skin.
It’s completely portable (rechargeable) and I can move around with it, or just lie down and relax for the 10 minutes of treatment it requires (3-5 times a week).
It’s very simple to use, has no complicated programs and multiple choices, has one on-off button and it shuts off automatically when treatment is done.
The red (633nm) and Near Infra-Red Light (830nm) are the most researched and proven wavelengths for anti-aging, building collagen, and reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
Right now I’m in the middle of trying out the mask for at least 30 days, and then I’ll publish a detailed post with my results!
✅ Price – $399 and a Free LED Mirror (worth £59.99) with coupon code CBMEITAL at Current Body
Current Body LED Mask Pros
- Good results with hyperpigmentation, skin glow and dark spots
- flexible to contour around face
- Hands free and easy to move around with it
- Causes skin overstimulation when overused (more than every other day)
- No darkening on the eyes to protect open eyes
3. Project E Beauty LED Facial Mask Best Budget
- Number of LEDs: 149 total
- Weight: 1.1 kg
- Material – plastic
- Warranty: 1 year, 30-day money-back guarantee
The Project E Beauty 7-color LED face mask can help heal your acne, brighten your skin, and reduce wrinkles and fine lines – according to your choice of color.
- The red light rays (630 nm) boost blood circulation and promote collagen production to reduce and prevent wrinkles, tone your skin, and make it radiant and glowing.
- The blue rays (415 nm) destroy acne-causing bacteria, minimize pores, and heal acne.
- The green light (525 nm) lightens and calms the skin.
Plus it has more colors – cyan, purple, yellow, and white.
It is not limited to 30 treatments and can be used for years.
How to use: 2-3 treatments a week for 10 minutes each color. And then reduce to 1-2 treatments a week once the results are shown. Start slow, with low settings, and work your way up.
Note: at a higher power setting, the lights are brighter and hotter.
✅ Price – Check price on the official site (and don’t forget our coupon code – MEITAL05!)
Project E Beauty LED Mask Pros
- Low cost
- A wide range of wavelengths that can be used for specific skin conditions
- Great results with acne and hyperpigmentation
- One size fits all
- A bit heavy and awkward – I had to use a folded cloth to pad my nose bridge
4. Dr. Dennis Gross DRx FaceWare Pro Best Design
- Number of LEDs – 162
- Colors – red/blue/red&blue
- Material – plastic
- Warranty – 1-year
The futuristic design is the first thing that pops with the Dr. Dennis Gross LED Mask, but this medical-grade and hands-free mask only requires 3 minutes of daily treatment to give your skin a rejuvenating reboot.
The mask lies directly on the skin and conforms to all the contours of your face for a comfortable treatment.
It has 100 red LEDs and 62 blue LEDs and you can choose from 3 treatment modes:
- Red light therapy – stimulates collagen production, plumps and smoothes the skin, and reduces fine lines.
- Blue light therapy – destroyed acne-causing bacteria
- Red & blue light – removes blemishes quickly and fights acne and skin anti-aging
✅ Price – $435 on Dermstore
Dr. Dennis Gross LED Mask Pros
- Great design
- Only 3 minutes of daily treatment is required
- Buyers testify visible skin results
- Some buyers claim that the charger stopped working after a month. However, you can use the 1-year warranty
5. New Project E Beauty 7 Colors LED Mask Best with Neck Attachment
The New Project E Beauty LED mask covers both your face and your neck in one treatment, is wireless (completely portable), and weighs 50% less than the first one. The weight is only 0.3 kg, and the neck mask is only 0.1 kg.
The 7 colors are:
- Red – 630nm
- Blue – 415nm
- Green – 525nm
- Cyan – 490nm
- Yellow – 590nm
- Purple – 390nm
Number of LEDs: 102 LEDs (Facial Mask), 40 LEDs (Neck Mask)
Treatment time (for each color) – 10-15 minutes
If you want to treat your neck – this is the best one (through our research). It has the same qualities as the basic 7 color model reviewed above, but has a neck attachment as well.
6. ECO FACE LED Photon Mask
- Number of LEDs – 120
- Colors – red/near infrared
- Material – plastic
- Warranty – 1-year
We love the Eco Face Korean LED mask because it has BOTH the red wavelength (630nm) and the near-infrared wavelength (830nm) – in a total of 120 LEDs – optimal for skin anti-aging treatments.
Near-infrared light penetrates deeper than the red light into the skin layers.
(On the other hand, it doesn’t have any other colors).
This one is a rechargeable and portable device, made with eco-friendly plastic (no PBA) and with high reviews on Amazon.
This LED face mask is can mainly help with reducing melanin and red spots, wrinkle reduction, tightening sagging eyes, improving skin vitality and glow, and increasing skin moisture.
Eco Face recommends using the device between the times of 10 PMand 2 AM since this is the time your face goes into repairing and regenerating mode.
👉 Treatment time – 15 – 20 minutes – 4-5 times a week
✅ Price – Check price on Amazon
Eco Face LED Mask Pros
- Covers the entire face, even helps lift eyelids
- Easy to use
- Has the near-infrared 880 nm wavelength for deeper penetration and skin healing
- Only has red and near-infrared wavelength – not enough for acne treatment
- Can not be used with open eyes
7. Newkey LED Light Therapy Mask Best for Acne
- Number of LEDs: 150
- Weight: 1.3 kg
- Warranty: 60-day money-back guarantee, 1-year warranty
The Amazon-popular Newkey LED face mask has 150 LEDs and 7 different colors to choose from. The important ones are:
- Red – 650 nm
- Blue – 463 nm
- Purple – 600 nm (great choice for Rosacea treatment)
- Green – 527 nm
- White – 470 nm
It has 3 different blue wavelengths, which is best for acne prevention and treatment, and calming the skin in case of skin allergies. The blue light treatment should be followed by the red light, to speed up the healing of the skin.
The mask requires 3-4 treatments (per week) for 20 minutes each session and claims to improve skin elasticity, reduce pigmentation (do not use the red light if you have hyperpigmentation, only the green), reduce wrinkles, kill acne-causing bacteria and improve skin smoothness and tone.
✅ Price – The best price is found on Amazon.
8. Angel Kiss LED Mask
- Number of LEDs: 150
- Material: plastic (1.3 kg)
- Warranty: 1 year
The Angel Kiss anti-aging LED mask is the least expensive one of these, yet made to last at least 3 years.
It includes red (650nm), blue (463nm), and green (527 nm) light rays, and promotes wrinkle reduction, reduced pores, toned and smooth skin, skin brightening, and acne healing.
👉 2022 update: The Angel Kiss Mask is now offering 7 colors!
After treatment, your skin looks vibrant and radiant.
✅ Price – best price is found on Amazon
Do LED Light Masks Work?
Both red LED light therapy and blue light therapy are scientifically proven to work.
Red light rays are proven to boost collagen production – responsible for the elasticity and firmness of your skin while promoting faster skin healing.
Blue light rays are proven to destroy acne-causing bacteria and treat inflammation, which results in a significant reduction in acne lesions, blackheads, and whiteheads (without antibiotics).
Blue light rays are proven to destroy acne-causing bacteria and treat inflammation, which results in a significant reduction in acne breakouts, blackheads, and whiteheads (without antibiotics).
Through my personal experience, I can tell you that YES, LED facial masks WORK.
But not in a flash.
When Can I Expect Results?
You’ll see some results (such as radiant, glowing skin) immediately after the first treatment.
For wrinkle reduction, toned skin, brightened skin, and acne prevention you’ll have to be consistent with your home treatment and you’ll see noticeable results in 4-6 weeks.
Worth it, isn’t it?
Celebrity expert esthetician Shani Darden promises immediate results after a 20 minute home treatment and recommends repeating treatment 3 times a week for long-lasting results.
👉 See 3 more proven skin benefits of red light therapy – including CELLULITE
LED Face Masks Side Effects
Color therapy LED face masks are not painful to use at all. The treatment feels like a nice peaceful nap for your face.
They feel warm and relaxing, and there will be no side effects if you don’t overdo them. However, the lights are very bright. Do not look directly at the lights without safety goggles.
Make sure to use them with your eyes closed and consider covering your eyes first with a dark piece of cloth.
How Often Should You Use an LED Mask?
A LED mask should be used 4-5 times a week, for about 10-20 minutes for each color. We recommend not to use it every day, to allow the skin to regenerate between treatments.
Once you see visible results, the frequency can be reduced to 1-2 a week.
Now that I’ve researched for you (and me…), you can safely join Emma Stone, Kate Hudson, and Kelly Rowland and enjoy the amazing benefits of LED facials – at home.
(If you don’t mind looking like a space alien and being laughed at by your family, that is)
📢Our top pick for 2022 is still the Aduro LED Mask. (Don’t forget our coupon code – MEITAL20)
👉 Also, you can check out my full comparison for the top 10 red LED light therapy at home devices.
What about you? Have you tried LED light masks? Do you have any other questions or comments?
To your health and happiness,
Russell BA, Kellett N, Reilly LR. A study to determine the efficacy of combination LED light therapy (633 nm and 830 nm) in facial skin rejuvenation. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2005 Dec;7(3-4):196-200. doi: 10.1080/14764170500370059. PMID: 16414908.