Though mostly small and lightweight, infrared massagers are available in many types and sizes and can become your best friend if you need to relieve back pain and muscle pain, boost blood circulation and even reduce cellulite – anywhere in your body.
Because Infrared heat can double the pain-relieving and blood-circulation-boosting ability of any electric body massager.
Don’t settle on a regular massager when you can use the healing power of infrared heat to supercharge muscle pain relief, boost blood circulation, and even reduce cellulite.
This post contains affiliate links.
Table of Contents
- Infrared Massager Benefits
- How to Choose an Infrared Massager
- The 6 Best Infrared Massagers for Muscle Pain & Cellulite
- How to Use an Infrared Massager
- Infrared Massager Side Effects
- Can You Use an Infrared Massager for Fat Burning?
Infrared Massager Benefits
Combining massage therapy with infrared therapy applied to an injured area in your body immediately increases blood flow and permeability (which leads to faster recovery). It also penetrates deeper into the tissues, relaxes tight muscles, reduces stress, eliminates toxins, reduces cellulite (by destroying white fat cells), and speeds up healing.
(See a list of studies at the end of the post)
How to Choose an Infrared Massager
Here’s what I looked for when I researched the best infrared massager:
1. It is lightweight. If you plan to use it by yourself, you don’t want your massager to be too heavy to hold for more than a minute.
2. It is reliable and high quality, so it won’t break down after a few weeks.
3. It has a long electric cord. You don’t want your movement to be limited.
4. It has a relatively big handle so you can use it comfortably.
5. It has different intensity levels so you can find the best one for you
Through my 10-hour research (I wanted one for myself), these are the 6 best infrared massagers in 2022 and my infrared body massager reviews:
The 6 Best Infrared Massagers for Muscle Pain & Cellulite
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top choices compared. Under it, you’ll find why we chose these, and detailed infrared massager reviews for each one.
|Infrared Massager||Our Rating||Features||Price|
|Snailax Infrared Percussion Massager||Best Vibration||Cordless|
heats to 130 F
|✅ $43 - at Snailax
(Use coupon code offered on the site!)
|LifePro Fusion X Infrared Massage Gun||🥇Best Value||Cordless|
Infrared Therapy Massage Gun
4 modes, 5 speed-levels
|Mo Cuishle||Best Grip||Percussion |
Many speed settings
|✅ Check price on Amazon|
|Snailax Foot Massager||Best Foot Massager||Shiatsu |
|✅ $104 - at Snailax
Use coupon code on the site!
1. Snailax Infrared Massager Best Vibration
- Size: 15*5.5*3.7 inches
- Weight: 1.8 pounds
- Power: 100-240V input voltage for the charging adapter.
- Power Cord: 6.5ft
The Snailax infrared body massager is 100% portable (just recharge and take it anywhere with you), it’s powerful enough even on a low setting, it has variable speed settings and 4 attachments.
One of them allows you to use deep massage acupressure points.
And of course – it includes an infrared heat feature (After 15 minutes using, it will be up to 130℉).
The Snailax infrared massager is highly versatile – comes with 4 interchangeable massage heads, 3 automatic massage modes, and 3 adjustable speed settings.
We found this one to be one of the best infrared body massagers for pain relief and cellulite reduction – because it’s powerful yet gentle enough to treat cellulite areas in your body.
- Can be used in the go – The battery can last for 80 minutes on a full charge!
- Sturdy, well-built
- Powerful – has enough pressure even on the low setting
- Comfortable grip
- Quiet – makes a low humming sound
- 2-year warranty
- Offers only vibration massage
✅ Price – $43 at Snailax (use coupon code at the site for a discount!)
2. LifePro Infrared Massage gun Best Value
The LifePro Fusion FX Infrared Therapy Massage Gun is a powerful percussion massager with a heated tip, that boosts your blood circulation even more – to alleviate chronic pain, quickly relieve DOMS, and faster injury recovery.
The intense heated percussion massage is delivered through a heated ceramic head and can be replaced with non-heated heads that come with it – if you wish.
Compared to the more expensive Tim Tam massager, this one comes with up to 3,200 RPMs (compared to TimTam’s 2,800 RPMs) and costs about $200 less.
The 5 interchangeable heads allow you to change the type of massage, and you further adjust with 4 massage programs and 5 speed levels.
The battery lasts for 5 hours on a single charge, and the lifetime warranty protects your investment.
LifePro Fusion FX Pros
- A heated ceramic head (can be removed and changed to other heads) delivers heat into your muscles
- Powerful percussion massage
- Highly adjustable (massage type, modes, and speed levels)
- Long-lasting battery
- Budget-friendly massage gun
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Shorter stroke length (10mm) may be limiting for some athletes
✅ Price – $179 at LifePro
3. Mo Cuishle Percussion Back Massager Best for Cellulite
- Weight: 2.4 pounds
- Voltage: AC110V
- Power: 28w
- Cord Length: 2 meters
This handheld Infrared lightweight massager has a powerful motor and a wide range of speed levels you can choose from.
It has a long, anti-slip handle that is comfortable to use when you glide it over your aching muscles or cellulite areas – without any massaging oils.
The massage heads are made of silicone and the shell is made of ABS, which is high quality and environmentally friendly. The “body scraper” attachment is especially good for cellulite treatment, combined with heat.
You can use it with or without the heat, but I recommend always using heat.
The Mo Cuishle is one of the best IR body massagers to improve blood circulation, relieve muscle spasms and pain, and reduce cellulite.
Mo Cuishle infrared massager pros
- Includes infrared massage therapy
- Easy to use, massager slides on the skin without massage oils (but can be used with them – if they are not alcohol-based
- 3-year warranty and 90 days money-back guarantee!
- Good customer service
- Can be used on any muscle in your body, and reaches everywhere
- Designed to slide along the back, avoiding the spine.
- Reasonable price (check today’s price )
- Heart patients and pregnant women are advised to not use it
- Could be a little heavy for some people
- You can’t use the added attachments when you use the heat feature
4. Snailax Foot Massager Best Foot Massager
The Snailax infrared foot massager is made for foot pain relief, achy feet, and total relaxation after a day’s work.
Heated Shiatsu or vibrating foot massagers can be the best natural solution for Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain), neuropathy, running recovery, flat feet, Varicose Veins, and more.
The Snailax infrared massager offers shiatsu massage and air compression with 3 massage modes and 3 pressure levels, so it’s fully adjustable for anyone up to US men size 12.
5. Naipo Handheld Massager Best Dual Head
- Size: 13.8 x 5.9 x 4.1 inches
- Weight: 1.98 lbs
- Power: 110-120V
The Naipo double head percussion muscle massager is a powerful heated massager (pulses at up to 3,400 times per minute) and comes with 3 different massage heads, and 2 variable speed settings you can choose from.
One massage node is great for trigger points and acupressure. The round-shaped nodes make the best fit when you use the heating option. The heat range is 95°F – 113°F.
Note that you can’t use this massager directly on your skin, only with clothes on.
✅ Price – $59 at Naipo – use coupon code NAIPOJUN to get a 30% discount!
Naipo Percussion massager pros
- Lightweight (0.9 kg)
- Easy to grip and reach everywhere – long, anti-slip handle
- Versatile – you can use it for deep kneading or a gentler massage
- You can’t use the heat without using the massage attachments
- Can’t be used on the skin directly
6. Homedics Infrared Percussion Massager (with Heat)
- Size: 17.1 x 5.9 x 5.5 inches
- Weight: 2.48 lbs
- Power: 120 V
Lightweight and portable, this Homedics infrared heated percussion massager weighs about 2.4 lbs and comes with 2 sets of massage nodes and a control.
It has 4 speed settings and 2 sets of attachments. However, the heat feature works best without the massage nodes, when the red light is exposed.
It is one of the most popular infrared massager on Amazon, and reasonably priced.
✅ Price – best price is on Amazon!
👉 Related Article: Homedics Foot Massager Reviews
How to Use an Infrared Massager
First, make sure that the massager is switched off when you plug it in. Choose your preferred treatment head. Switch the device on, set the desired massage speed, and whether you want the heat on or off. Use both your hands to guide the massager to any area on your body (excluding your face and scalp).
You can stand, sit, lie down, or massage another person.
Massage intensity can be changed depending on how hard you press it against your skin. I recommend massaging each area for no more than 3-4 minutes.
Infrared Massager Side Effects
The most important warning regarding infrared heat massagers is for diabetics. Diabetics cannot use these massagers because due to nerve damage they cannot feel how hot the massager gets and can burn their skin unknowingly. Otherwise, if you take a few minutes to figure out the right massage head and the right speed level, you’re not supposed to experience any side effects other than pain relief, muscle relief, and stress relief.
Can you use a heated massager during pregnancy?
You can not use an infrared massager on your back or stomach when you are pregnant, because the electric impulses can stimulate uterus contraction and can cause premature labor. However, you can safely use it on your legs or arms – at a low speed and gently.
Can You Use an Infrared Massager for Fat Burning?
Near Infrared therapy (low level laser), combined with vibration massage, is proven to result in a significant reduction of fat thickness and cellulite. Most studies have shown visible results after 12 weeks of treatment. These results were not diminished even after the treatment was finished.
I hope this little guide was helpful and saved you some time. If you have any questions please use the comment section, or message me on my Facebook Page – I answer everyone.
To your health and happiness,
Are you aware of the powerful massage & infrared heat combo for cellulite reduction?
Tsai SR, Hamblin MR. Biological effects and medical applications of infrared radiation. J Photochem Photobiol B. 2017;170:197-207. doi:10.1016/j.jphotobiol.2017.04.014
Romero C, Caballero N, Herrero M, Ruíz R, Sadick NS, Trelles MA. Effects of cellulite treatment with RF, IR light, mechanical massage and suction treating one buttock with the contralateral as a control. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2008 Dec;10(4):193-201. doi: 10.1080/14764170802524403. PMID: 18991154.
Do-Won Kim, Dae Woon Lee, Joergen Schreiber, Chang-Hwan Im, Hansung Kim, “Integrative Evaluation of Automated Massage Combined with Thermotherapy: Physical, Physiological, and Psychological Viewpoints”, BioMed Research International, vol. 2016, Article ID 2826905, 8 pages, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/2826905
Savoia A, Landi S, Vannini F, Baldi A. Low-level laser therapy and vibration therapy for the treatment of localized adiposity and fibrous cellulite. Dermatol Ther (Heidelb). 2013 May 23;3(1):41-52. doi: 10.1007/s13555-013-0026-x. PMID: 23888254; PMCID: PMC3680639.