If you think that using an infrared (heated) foot massager is just another way to relax your tired and aching feet at the end of the day – think again.
Infrared foot therapy is a natural and cost-effective treatment that is a must for people who suffer from poor blood circulation, heel pain (Plantar Fasciitis), Neuropathy, flat feet, arthritic feet, and varicose veins.
This post contains affiliate links, at no extra cost to you.
In this post, you’ll find the proven benefits of foot massagers with heat, and the best shiatsu/vibrating foot massagers with heat – in 2023.
👉 In a Hurry? here’s a short comparison table for the best heated foot massagers. Below you’ll find our full reviews and all the benefits!
|Heated Foot Massager||Bottom Line||Features||Price|
|Snailax Foot Massager||Best Value||3 programs|
|✅ $83 with code WMD25 at Snailax|
|Slabway Foot Massager||Best for Flat Feet||Shiatsu massage|
speed and direction settings
|✅ Check Price on Amazon|
|Human Touch Reflex5s||Best Foot & Calf Massager||Rolling|
12 intensity settings
|✅ $199 at Walmart|
|Renpho Foot Massager||Best for Plantar Fasciitis||3 massage modes|
3 pressure levels
|✅ $125 with code REN10 at Renpho|
|Homedics Triple Action ||Best for Wide Feet||Shiatsu|
1 intensity setting
|✅ $50 at Homedics|
- Infrared Foot Massager Benefits
- Infrared Foot Massager Types
- The 8 Best Foot Massagers with Heat [2023 Reviews]
- 1. Snailax Foot Massager – Best Value
- 2. Slabway Foot Massager – Best for Flat Feet
- 3. Human Touch Reflex5s – Best Foot & Calf Massager
- 4. Homedics Foot Massager – Best for Wide Feet
- 5. Renpho Foot Massager – Best for Plantar Fasciitis
- 6. Nekteck Foot Massager – With Adjustable Height
- 7. Miko Shiatsu Foot Massager
- 8. Daiwa Felicity Foot Massager Best Vibration
- Infrared Foot Massager Side Effects
- Heated Foot Massagers FAQ
Infrared Foot Massager Benefits
The proven benefits of heated foot massagers include long-lasting pain relief (muscle/nerve/bones), Improved blood circulation, healing of nerve damage (regeneration), edema reduction, and stress relief. It can help people with chronic illnesses, people that work all day on their feet, people who suffer from poor blood circulation, and people who are highly stressed.
1. Long-Lasting Foot Pain Relief
A Shiatsu foot massage, combined with infrared heat (thermal massage) – quickly boosts blood circulation in your feet and is scientifically proven to relieve pain (both immediately and long-term) from Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy.
Shiatsu (kneading) infrared electric foot massagers target the foot reflexology pressure points used by traditional Chinese medicine while emitting deep-penetrating infrared rays, which results with:
- Increased blood circulation (which plays a huge role in tissue healing!)
- Pain relief
- Tissue (and nerve) repair
IR therapy causes the release of nitric oxide, a short-lived gas that is crucial to the health of your arteries.
This powerful signaling molecule relaxes them (makes them wider) – which allows for more oxygen and pain-relieving components, and prevents blood clotting.
👉 Related: How to Use Infrared Therapy for Pain Relief
2. Improved Blood Circulation (for Diabetes, Neuropathy, and More)
Improving blood circulation issues is crucial for anyone suffering from Diabetes, Peripheral Neuropathy, Edema (swelling), Varicose veins, Obesity, and more.
Both massage and infrared heating are proven to quickly boost your blood circulation, which immediately relieves symptoms and helps with long-term healing (or prevention).
👉 Related: How to Use Light Therapy for Neuropathy
If you suffer from Neuropathy, know that IR therapy is one of the best natural treatments you can do for yourself at home – anytime you want to.
(That’s why we’ve dedicated a separate post for Peripheral Neuropathy- click the link above to see it)
Note: some heated foot massager machines may include a warning for diabetics to not use them. The reason is that diabetics may be sensitive to heat.
We recommend that you consult with your doctor before using this device.
(When you do, ask him/her about this study – showing that 4 weeks of FIR radiation administered to the feet of type 2 DM patients significantly reduced cortisol levels and blood glucose levels.)
3. Foot Swelling Reduction
Swelling feet is the most common symptom of extremities lymphedema. More than a few studies have shown that infrared therapy has a positive effect on the major components of the lymphatic tissue.
For example, this study has found that infrared heat has significantly reduced swelling, and has decreased the deposition of fluid, fat, hyaluronan, and protein in the lymphatic tissue.
Infrared light therapy can reduce the pain associated with the condition and also help to open pathways that allow the excess fluid to dissipate naturally.
Also, the reduction in swelling (in feet and ankles) means more nutrients for the damaged tissues and more cell rejuvenation.
4. Stress Relief and Energy Replenishing
You won’t need scientific proof for this one, trust me. Just put your feet once in a high-quality heated foot massager, sit back, and close your eyes – and you’ll know what true stress relief is.
Infrared Foot Massager Types
👉 In a hurry?
Jump to the best heated foot massagers.
In this post you’ll find 3 types of heated foot massagers:
1. Footbeds – these massagers only treat the soles of your feet – there is no air compression massage on the whole foot.
Some of them have only Shiatsu (kneading) and some have vibration as well. This type is best for swollen feet or painful feet that may feel too compressed inside foot chambers.
2. Foot chambers – these electric foot massagers massage the entire feet and often combine air compression massage, Shiatsu, and vibrating massage.
These massagers can cost twice as much as the footbeds massagers, due to the added features and extended coverage. They fit best to people suffering from muscle tension in the feet.
3. Foot, calf, and leg massagers – these devices massage the entire foot plus the calves at the same time, at variable speed. They fit best for runners and athletes.
The 8 Best Foot Massagers with Heat [2023 Reviews]
Heated foot massagers combine soothing infrared heat with a kneading massage motion.
Below you’ll find the best ones, but you’ll also find the best vibrating foot massager (if you prefer it) and the best value foot and calf massager.
1. Snailax Foot Massager – Best Value
- Massage types – Shiatsu/Rolling/Air Compression
- Programs – 3
- Intensity – 3 levels
Through our research, the Snailax is the best-value foot massager of 2023, and the best return for your money.
We are familiar with all the Snailax brand products and they are all high-quality, durable, and reasonably priced, with outstanding customer service.
The Snailax foot massager has 3 auto-programs you can choose from, all of which combine Shiatsu kneading, scraping, rolling massage, and air compression massage, with 3 different intensity levels.
The optional infrared heat feature (2 settings) boosts local blood circulation and makes this treatment very relaxing and soothing for tired and aching feet.
Plus, the price is reasonable.
Snailax Foot Massager Pros
- 2-year warranty and free shipping on the official site
- Easy to operate with toe-touch controls
- Highly versatile with 3 programs and 3 intensity levels
- Washable feet sleeves, easily detachable
- Reasonable price
- Some people may find the pressure is too much, especially people with large feet
✅ Available at Snailax ($83 with coupon code WMD25)
2. Slabway Foot Massager – Best for Flat Feet
- Massage types – Shiatsu
- Programs – 4
- Intensity – 3 levels
The best massage for flat feet is a kneading massage for the arches of the feet, to try and make them less flat. There is no need for compression massage (which feels too intense for some people) for this condition.
The Slabway foot massager is the only foot massage machine on this list that offers great Shiatsu massage – without constricting your feet inside a chamber.
It does not do air compression (squeezing) massage, and the controller allows you to choose the speed and direction of the massage balls as you want it.
The design of the Slabway makes it fit for all foot sizes, and the open build allows you to massage your calves and other parts of your body as well. It comes with an infrared heating option, to boost blood circulation while the muscles are being treated.
- Fits all foot sizes
- Wireless remote control
- Best for flat feet
- Lightweight and compact
- No compression massage
- Heavy and hard to move around
✅ Available on Amazon
3. Human Touch Reflex5s – Best Foot & Calf Massager
- Massage types – 8-figure circular rolling/Vibration
- Intensity – 2 levels
- Programs – 2
With patented 8-figure Shiatsu rolling massage, this foot and calf massager boosts blood circulation toward the center of your body in a circular, natural massage motion, or intense vibration massage.
Heat is delivered via warm air circulation while the machine is on, which means that this is not deep penetrating heat.
The onboard console allows for easy access to choosing from 2 massage programs, 2 intensity levels, and 2 massage motions.
The adjustable tilt base of the Reflex5s makes it easy to find the best massage angle, as seen below:
✅ Available on Amazon ($229) and at Walmart ($199)
4. Homedics Foot Massager – Best for Wide Feet
- Massage Types – Shiatsu (finger, palm, and knuckle motions)
- Programs – 1
- Intensity – no settings
Deep kneading (through 18 small rotating nodes) and infrared heat make this one the perfect massager for the sole of the foot, and the breathable fabric prevents sweating and keeps your feet dry.
There are no bells and whistles, but you can control the intensity of the massage simply by the weight of your feet on it, and but it fits people of all foot sizes, including wide feet that will be crunched and pounded to death inside the typical chamber foot massager.
Homedics Triple Action Pros
- Stimulates blood flow to your heels, arches, soles, and toes – promoting pain relief, healing, and relaxation
- Easy to use
- Portable and the size allows you to easily hide between furniture when not in use
- No foot sweating – the top of the footbeds is covered with a breathable nylon mesh.
- Fits people of all foot sizes
- 2-year warranty
- Long Cord (6 feet)
- Can be used on your hands, calves, and thighs as well
- Very helpful in relieving pain from Plantar Fasciitis
- Massage can feel too rough for people with sensitive heat. The massage rollers are quite strong.
- If you have sensitive feet, jump to the best vibrating (gentle) foot massager with heat.
✅ Available at Homedics ($50) and on Amazon ($50)
5. Renpho Foot Massager – Best for Plantar Fasciitis
- Massage Types – Shiatsu/Air Compression
- Programs – 3
- Intensity – 3 levels
With the Renpho foot massager PRO 3 you can choose from 3 massage modes and 3 pressure levels, to target any point of your feet, and enable or disable heat, tapping, and air compression – for feet up to US men size 12.
The heated airbags massage your feet while boosting blood circulation to relax and heal the muscles, nerves, and tissues more effectively.
The shiatsu massage helps clear out toxins and invigorates the lymphatic system, which results in quick pain relief and immediate relaxation.
Renpho Foot Massager pros
- Highly versatile massage – shiatsu & compression, intensity settings
- You can choose from an intense massage or a gentler massage with the adjustable air compression intensity
- Soothing and relaxing – optional infrared light therapy
- You can choose either the toe-touch panel or a controller
- Can be cleaned with the replaceable and washable cloth cover
- Auto shut off after 15/30 minutes (your choice)
- High user reviews online
- 1-year warranty and great customer service
People with very wide feet may find it difficult to insert their feet into the chambers
✅ Available at Renpho ($125 with coupon code REN10) and on Amazon ($122)
6. Nekteck Foot Massager – With Adjustable Height
- Massage Types – Shiatsu
- Programs – 1
- Intensity – 1 level
Like the Homedics foot massager, the Nekteck foot massager is a basic footbeds massager, with no bells and whistles, and its unique feature is the adjustable height – it has 3 height levels you can choose from.
Nekteck Foot Massager Pros
- Adjustable height (3 levels)
- Portable and has built-in cord storage and a carry handle
- Quiet operation
- Highly rated on Amazon
- Good customer service
- 1-year warranty
- Intense foot massage. For sensitive feet, we recommend using a towel between your feet and the footbeds.
- If you have high arches – you may need to move your feet to help the massager reach them properly.
✅ Available on Amazon ($60) and at Walmart ($60)
7. Miko Shiatsu Foot Massager
- Massage options: Shiatsu/vibration/Air Compression
- Programs – 1
- Intensity – 5 pressure settings
The Miko Foot Massager has 5 pressure levels to choose from, which makes it easier for you to find the right intensity for your level of pain and sensitivity. However, users have reported the pressure is not consistent.
It is the only infrared massager on this list that comes with 2 wireless remote controls (the extra one is just in case you lose the first one).
Miko Foot Massager Pros
- More than average pressure levels
- Easy to use
- Five intensity settings
- Removable and washable covers
- Fits people with feet sizes up to 14
- 1-year warranty
- Excellent customer service
- Highly rated by Amazon buyers
- Not the best choice for people with sensitive feet (for example, diabetics), and some users complain about it not treating the heels sufficiently
✅ Available at Miko ($149 with free 2-day shipping) and on Amazon ($130)
8. Daiwa Felicity Foot Massager Best Vibration
- Massage options – Vibration/Acupressure
- Intensity – 12 levels
- Programs – 1
The Daiwa Felicity has no less than 12 intensity settings, more than any foot massager on this list, so it’s easy to customize the right level for your needs and pain sensitivity.
It is built with raised footbeds for proper foot placement and can be used in other places in your body (hands, calves, ankles, etc.)
The vibration massage can be gentle enough for sensitive feet or high frequency and powerful for muscle relaxation and release. With so many pressure options, it’s easy to find just the right one for you.
- No Shiatsu (kneading) massage
✅ Available on Amazon ($162) and at Walmart ($167)
Infrared Foot Massager Side Effects
Generally, both massage and infrared therapy are proven to be safe and effective, without short or long-term side effects. However, overdoing either may lead to some damage, that’s why all heated foot massagers on the market automatically shut off after 15-20 minutes of treatment.
This helps you avoid overuse and damage from too much heat or too much intense massage (also known as a “sensory injury”).
For some people, the intense Shiatsu massage from the heated foot massager is too painful and may make them stop using the foot massager and miss out on the benefits.
That’s why it’s important to choose a versatile foot massager, which allows for more gentle massage and speed settings.
Heated Foot Massagers FAQ
What is an Infrared Foot Massager?
An infrared massager combines deep penetrating heat with a kneading/vibrating massage motion, to target the reflexology pressure points in your feet.
This immediately helps with foot pain caused by Neuropathy, Plantar Fasciitis, and more. Foot massage boosts your circulation, which helps with healing and keeps your muscles and tissues healthy.
What Types of Massage Can You Get with a Foot Massager?
Most infrared foot massagers offer either a vibrating massage, shiatsu (kneading) massage, and air compression massage (that feels like real hands are massaging your feet) – or all three – at variable speeds, pressure levels, and automated programs.
And now over to you: have you ever tried an infrared foot massager to relieve foot pain? what was your experience? Share with us in the comments below.
If you have any questions use the comments or message us directly (for a quick reply) on our Facebook page.
To your health and happiness,
Young-Hee Lee, Bit Na Ri Park, and Sung Hoon Kim, The Effects of Heat and Massage Application on Autonomic Nervous System, doi: 10.3349/ymj.2011.52.6.982
Hamblin, Michael. (2008). The role of nitric oxide in low level light therapy. 10.1117/12.764918.
The University of Illinois at Chicago. “Massage therapy improves circulation, alleviates muscle soreness.” ScienceDaily. ScienceDaily, 16 April 2014.
Li, K., Zhang, Z., Liu, N.F. et al. Efficacy and safety of far infrared radiation in lymphedema treatment Lasers Med Sci (2017) 32: 485. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-016-2135-0
Ryotokuji, Kenji et al. “Preliminary results of pinpoint plantar long-wavelength infrared light irradiation on blood glucose, insulin and stress hormones in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.” Laser therapy vol. 22,3 (2013): 209-14. doi:10.3136/islsm.22.209
1 thought on “Infrared Foot Massagers Benefits & Top Picks (2023)”
Such an amazing post. Thanks for this great post, I find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future.