Can you place an infrared sauna outdoors?
Are there any true weather resistant infrared saunas?
The answer is YES.
👉 The problem is:
True outdoor FIR saunas are hard to find.
Most home infrared saunas are built to “survive” only indoors. If you want to place your FIR sauna outside, you have to make sure it is specially designed as an outdoor sauna.
Because exposing the sauna elements to humidity, heat, snow, and wind can ruin them, and if the sauna is not well insulated, it will be harder to keep the heat inside.
An outdoor infrared sauna has to be built with water-proof solid wood, it has to be well insulated, and usually comes with a roof.
- 1 What Should I KNOW Before Buying an Outdoor Infrared Sauna?
- 2 The Only 3 True Outdoor FIR Saunas – Reviewed
- 3 Indoor FIR Sauna VS Outdoor Infrared Sauna (Pros & Cons)
- 4 How Much Does an Outdoor FIR Sauna COST?
What Should I KNOW Before Buying an Outdoor Infrared Sauna?
Outdoor infrared saunas are different than indoor ones (see the top INDOOR FIR saunas HERE).
Here are the most important factors to consider:
1. Electricity – an outdoor far infrared sauna needs electricity to function. You’ll need to install it next to an adequate outlet. Make sure it is close enough to a GFI outlet with enough capacity.
(You’ll find the power requirements for each sauna we recommend – in our reviews below)
2. Space – the best thing about an outdoor infrared sauna is the fact it won’t take up space inside your home. You can place it in your patio, in your backyard, or on a deck – outside.
And, if you have enough space outdoors, you can enjoy a large sauna – fit for 4-5 people.
3. Insulation – to be able to work up a sweat you’ll need a far infrared sauna that keeps the heat inside even when the weather is cold.
A specially designed outdoor sauna is made with the right kind of solid wood (more on that below) and is well-insulated. This will also lower your electricity spend on the sauna.
4. EMF radiation – choosing a low EMF infrared sauna is a critical factor for your safety.
A safe level of EMF is considered to be anything below 3.0mG.
5. The number of heaters – since outdoor IR saunas are typically larger (3-person or more) – the number of heaters can be between 6-10.
A sauna for 4 people requires 8-10 heaters, while a 3-person sauna will have 6-8. The number of heaters can make a difference when it comes down to the temperature control and the heat inside.
6. Best wood type for outdoor saunas – the commonly used ones are hemlock, cedar, pine, and spruce.
Cedar is considered the best, followed by hemlock. The cheaper ones are made with pine or spruce. Cedar and hemlock are the most stain and moisture resistant.
7. Safety – make sure it is up to local building codes, safe and able to withstand weather damage.
The Only 3 True Outdoor FIR Saunas – Reviewed
Unfortunately, pickings are slim. It took us a lot of research and digging to find the 3 high-quality FIR saunas below:
Western Pacific 4-Person Outdoor FIR Sauna
The Western Pacific 8XL outdoor FIR sauna looks like a standalone house on its own.
The double-wall construction comes with a weather-sealed tempered glass door, a waterproof shingle roofing, 2 classic windows, and is made with quality hemlock wood – which is weather resistant.
It has 8 ceramic infrared heaters (6 Heaters on back walls and 2 Heaters under the benches), 4 reading lamps (LED) and 4 LED lights for chromotherapy ($160-$300 worth).
It will take 2 people about 2 hours to assemble, and it is easy to disassemble in case you’ll move and wish to take it with you.
– Size – 59.1 x 59.1 x 84.5 inches
– Weight – 550 lbs.
– Temperature – 110F to 140F
– Power Usage – 220v / 30 Amps / 60hz / 2400 Watts (you’ll need hook-up and a termite resistant 6-foot square pad)
– Warranty – 10 Year Limited Warranty: 10 years on the structure, 5 years on the heaters, and 3 years on the electronics.
- Music player options (iPhones/IPod/MP3 – $200 worth)
- Digital control panel
- Oxygen ionizer ($150 worth)
- Ozone generator
- 2 benches, each is 55″ wide x 17.5″ deep.
✅ Price – $6.60 per pound. Check today’s price on Amazon.
Western Pacific 3-Person Weather Resistant FIR Sauna – TOP PICK
The Western Pacific 3-person sauna is very similar to the 4-person one when it comes to the accessories, but it is smaller, has one window and one bench, and fits up to 3 people.
It costs a bit more than the larger one.
👉 Because it’s built with the best wood for outdoor saunas (100% waterproof red cedar wood construction), and has 7 carbon fiber heaters – which are considered the best FIR heaters.
It comes with a weather sealed tempered partial glass door and 1 glass window, and If your budget can handle it, it’s the highest quality outdoor FIR sauna you’ll find in 2019.
– Overall Assembled Size: 75″ Wide x 62″ Deep x 102″ Tall.
– Bench Size: 55.5″ Wide x 22″ Deep
– Weight: 450 lbs.
– Electrical Requirements: 110v, 60hz, 20A (Standard 110v Plug Installed)
– Warranty – 10 years
– Accessories – the same as the 4-person sauna.
– Price – $6.80 per pound. Check today’s price on Amazon.
Cayenne 4-Person Outdoor Sauna
This outdoor infrared sauna is large and spacious, fits 4-5 people, and has 8 fast-heating ceramic FIR elements inside.
👉 It’s made with weather-resistant and durable Canadian Hemlock wood and is ETL/CSA Certified (meets all US and Canadian electrical safety standards).
This beautiful sauna will look beautiful on your deck, in your patio or anywhere in your backyard.
It is easy to install with tongue and groove construction (tongue and groove joints allow two flat pieces to be joined strongly together to make a single flat surface.).
– Power: 120-Volt, 20 Amp plug, 2100 watts (It has to be on its own dedicated circuit. So you can put a 30 amp plug on the end of the wire or hardwire it into a junction box).
– Size: 79 in. x 52 in. x 83 in.
– Cabin dimensions: 71 in. x 47 in. x 75 in.
– Warranty: 7-year structural warranty – guaranteed for defects in materials and workmanship.
– Accessories (included in the price):
- Long bench seat
- LCD control panel
- Oxygen ionizer
- Recessed exterior lighting
- FM radio with CD player
- Reading lamp
- Cup holder
✅ Price – check today’s price on Amazon
Indoor FIR Sauna VS Outdoor Infrared Sauna (Pros & Cons)
Here are the benefits of each sauna side by side, to make it easier for you to make a final choice:
in your home
|Placed inside your home –
longer due to
|Harder to keep
the heat inside
in cold weather –
How Much Does an Outdoor FIR Sauna COST?
The cost to buy an outdoor infrared sauna will vary depending on the size, quality of construction, wood type, heaters type, and the energy rating.
Size is usually the biggest factor in determining the price. The larger the sauna, the higher the purchase price.
The average price of a 3-4-person OUTDOOR infrared sauna: $2000-$4000.
The average price for a 3-4 INDOOR IR sauna: $2000-$3000
How Much Does it Cost to RUN an Outdoor Infrared Sauna?
Infrared saunas use much less electricity than the traditional sauna.
They use less power because they mostly heat surfaces and not the surrounding air.
They also have a lower preparation time – most FIR saunas heat in up to 30 minutes, while traditional saunas take an hour or more to heat up to the “sweating temperature”.
Electricity cost for an FIR sauna depends on how much you pay per kilowatt-hour on your current plan.
👉 For example, a 2200W FIR sauna, run for one hour, will generally use 1KWh of electricity – around 26.4 cents in the USA.
Placing an infrared sauna at your home or outside is one of the best and most cost-effective actions you can take to dramatically improve your health.
(Not sure why? Here are 14 proven health benefits of infrared therapy)
In this post, you’ve found the only 3 true weather-resistant outdoor FIR saunas in 2019.
The second runner up is the Western Pacific 4-person extra-large outdoor IR sauna.
Our 3rd choice would be the Cayenne 4-person sauna.
If these saunas are too heavy on your budget, consider a small, 2-person indoor FIR sauna, which doesn’t take much space and costs between $1000-$1500.
👉 For the lowest cost version of infrared sauna – check out our post about the top portable infrared saunas in 2019.
Any questions? We’re always happy to help. Use the comments below or message us directly on our Facebook page.
To your health and happiness,