Flexible red light therapy wraps/belts/pads can be used anywhere on your body, including curvy areas (such as the knees, shoulders, legs, etc.) – for more efficient delivery of red light energy and healing capabilities.
Red light therapy pads are lightweight, thin, and comfortable, but most importantly – allow for direct contact with the skin.
In this post, you’ll find the benefits of LED light therapy wraps, how to choose the best pads/wraps/belts, and our top 5 choices – reviewed and compared.
This post contains affiliate links, at no extra cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Benefits of Red Light Therapy Wraps & Pads
- How to Choose a Red Light Therapy Pad/Wrap/Belt
- The 4 Best Red Light Therapy Pads & Wraps
Benefits of Red Light Therapy Wraps & Pads
Red LED light therapy is being used for decades for many purposes, including skin rejuvenation, skin healing and regeneration, (wound healing/Psoriasis & Eczema, and more) pain relief (arthritis/muscle pain), muscle recovery, belly fat reduction, neuropathy, and more.
There are many types of red light therapy home devices: handheld, panels, massagers, and lamps.
So, what’s the deal with red light wraps?
Red light therapy wraps are convenient to use, because they are lightweight, thin, and can be wrapped around any part of your body – even those hard-to-reach places such as the shoulders, or the knees. Compared to infrared heating pads, LED light therapy pads produce less heat (different lightwaves) and can be used directly on the skin – compared to LED panels (that require at least 12″ distance).
(👉 We’ve covered the best infrared knee heating pads here – if you are interested in heated pads).
This direct contact with the skin requires less intensity (measured in milliwatts per centimeter squared) and LED bulbs – which lowers the cost of these devices.
(But still – LED panels are more powerful than LED wraps)
In a hurry? see our short comparison table:
|Red Light Therapy Wrap||Review||LEDs||Treatment Area||Price|
|DGYAO Red Light Therapy Belt||Best Value||117 LEDs||Covers 11” x 5.5”||✅ Check Price on Amazon
|Exerscribe Red Light Therapy Wrap||High Intensity|
Best for belly fat
|120 LEDs||Covers 16″x 8″||✅ Check Price on Amazon
|LifePro AllevaRed||Largest Pad|
Best for back pain
|105 LEDs||Covers 49.6” × 6.9”||✅ $189 at LifePro
|DPL Flex Pad||Best Cordless|
For smaller areas
|60 LEDs||Covers 8” x 3.5”||✅ $159 at Revive Light Therapy
Save 30% with code SAVE30
How to Choose a Red Light Therapy Pad/Wrap/Belt
The most important factors when choosing a LED light therapy wrap are the number of LEDs, intensity (power), EMF radiation, size, weight, and the pad material.
1. Size & Treatment Area – the treatment area of the LED wrap is the area where the LED bulbs are, and you have to make sure it is large enough for your specific needs.
For example, for low back pain relief (or belly fat reduction), you’ll need a larger wrap. For shoulder pain or knee pain – a smaller pad will suffice.
2. Intensity – measured in mW/cm^2 (milliwatts per centimeter squared), intensity is determined by the number of LEDs and their energy delivery. The more LEDs, the more power, and the more effective your treatment will be.
3. Wavelength – most LED wraps deliver red light wavelengths ranging from 660 nm to 880 nm (near-infrared) – the most efficient wavelengths according to studies.
4. EMF Radiation – we all know that EMF radiation, emitted by all electric devices, can be harmful to our bodies. The best LED wraps include EMF shielding, to reduce it to a minimum. Here’s why it’s best to avoid EMF.
5. Price – the cost of red light therapy wraps depends on their brand reputation, number of LEDs and intensity, size, and quality. On this list, you’ll find wraps ranging from $149 to $169.
The 4 Best Red Light Therapy Pads & Wraps
Here are our top 4 choices, reviewed – our full red light therapy wraps reviews:
1. DGYAO Red Light Therapy Belt – Best Value
- LEDs – 52 red lights (660 nm), and 65 invisible infrared lights (880 nm)
- Intensity – 9-14 mW/cm^2
- Warranty – 1 year for the device, lifetime replacement on the charger, controller, and connectors.
DGYAO is an experienced manufacturer of LED light therapy devices and specializes in flexible wraps and torches.
The DGYAO LED light therapy belt is larger than average (11” x 5.5” treatment area), and includes 117 LEDs (alternating between 660 nm and infrared at 880 nm).
The near-infrared LEDs emit deep penetrating light and are invisible to the human eyes, and reach all the way to inner tissues, including muscles, ligaments, and nerves.
The large treatment area makes it useful for low back pain treatment, belly fat reduction, and any curvy area that requires wrapping – Neuropathy hand pain, foot pain, etc.
It comes with 2 Velcro straps to keep it in place.
The intensity of their belt averages at about 10-14 mW/cm^2 (relatively low) which is sufficient since you can have direct contact with the skin, and it is the coolest LED pad on this list.
The 20-minute auto shut-off will prevent overuse and keep you safe if you fall asleep on it.
However, the EMF radiation from their 12v adapter is high. To prevent this, you can use this low-EMF 12v adapter instead – for almost zero EMF radiation.
Unfortunately, this will increase the price of your purchase.
Also, note that the LEDs can get pretty hot – remove the pad from your skin when it feels too hot!
- High user satisfaction and great results with pain from neuropathy, muscle pain, arthritis, injuries, and more
- Heat feels deep-penetrating
- 2 velcro straps allow use on any body part
- Not a good fit for travel due to the power cords set (3 separate cords to make it run)
3. LifePro AllevaRed Belt – Largest Red Light Wrap
- LEDs – 105 red (660 nm) & infrared (850 nm)
- Warranty – Lifetime warranty, 30-day money-back guarantee (free shipping on returns)
The AllevaRed comes from the reliable LifePro brand (we’ve reviewed their infrared massage gun here), and is so lightweight (1.2 lbs.) you can take it in your handbag.
It has the largest treatment area of all the ones in this list (49.6” L × 6.9” W), which makes it most suitable for lower back pain relief, hip pain, leg pain, and the stomach area.
Regardless of its size, the AllevaRed emits close to zero EMF radiation, and you can use the controller to choose the wavelength, and choose from 5 intensity settings.
Just like the previous devices, it includes two LED settings – red light at 660nm, and near-infrared LEDs at 850nm (the highest setting can reach up to 132 F!).
It works only by being plugged in, but you can charge at any power source since it comes with a USB cable and a power adapter.
Looking through the many consumer reviews, we found many people using the LifePro AllevaRed for workout recovery, muscle and joint pain relief, skin rejuvenation (including cellulite and stretch marks), and belly fat loss – with great results.
- Consumers report great help with pain relief and stopping chiro treatments
- Easy to use on different areas with different modes
- Relaxing heat
- The Velcro at the end of the belt catches on everything
3. Exerscribe Red Light Therapy Wrap – Highest Intensity
- LEDs – 120 (660 nm / 880 nm)
- Intensity – 150 Mw/cm²
- Warranty – 2 years
The Exerscribe light therapy pad (660nm & 880nm) has a 16″x 8″ treatment area and includes 120 pcs 660nm/880nm chips, but you can choose to only use red/infrared mode.
It is the most powerful red light therapy pad on this list, with 150 Mw/cm² at direct contact (0 inches).
Along with its good size, this makes this pad ideal for long-lasting pain relief anywhere in your body.
The smart feature inside this one is definitely the dual-chip technology – each LED chip emits both red and infrared wavelengths – which makes treatment more efficient and holistic.
This pad does not emit any EMF and doesn’t flicker, and it automatically shuts off after 20 minutes. You can use it up to twice a day.
This pad is very light and convenient and can be plugged into a power source or connected to a power bank (which is not included).
✅ Price – check the price on Amazon
- Great results with arthritis pain, swelling reduction, muscle soreness, and more
- Can be used with a battery pack (not included)
- The lights are warm but not too warm
- Some buyers complained that the wrap stopped working after a while, or that the IR lights do not work
4. dpl Flex Pad – Best Cordless
- LEDs – 60 LEDs (red at 660 nm+ near infrared at 880 nm)
- Intensity – 15-25 mW/cm^2
- Warranty – 1 year
While it is smaller than the DGYAO wrap (8” x 3.5” treatment area), the dpl flex pad makes up for the small treatment size with high power output (15-25 Joules per cm²), a built-in low EMF battery, and full portability.
It takes 2-4 hours to charge this fully portable and lightweight pad, and then you can wrap it around your aching area and move around comfortably. This makes it the best choice for travel.
It includes 60 medical-grade infrared lights (880nm) – which penetrate deep into the tissues, boosts blood circulation, and stimulate cell healing and regeneration. It alternates with red lights (660 nm) as well.
This size and power are best for small curvy areas such as the knees, elbows, ankles, feet, etc.
Bottom line – the dpl flex pad is a powerful, targeted, portable, and easy-to-use LED light therapy wrap.
👉 We’ve compared the best-selling Revive LED devices – in our Revive Light Therapy Reviews.
- Rechargeable and portable
- Well-known and experienced brand, good customer service
- Users report great results with inflammation reduction and injury recovery
- A relatively small treatment size and fewer LEDs – won’t be enough for large body parts
- Not very flexible
✅ Price – $159 at dpl Light Therapy – save 30% with coupon code SAVE30
👉 dpl Light Therapy also makes a red light therapy joint wrap, which is featured on our best elbow heating pads guide!
Can You Use a Red Light Therapy Wrap for Fat Loss?
Yes, red and infrared light therapy is scientifically proven to melt and eliminate white fat cells in the body, which is why many people use LED wraps over their stomach, thighs, and other areas. It is often used for cellulite and stretch marks as well.
👉 See how to use red light therapy for cellulite – at home
Is a Red Light Therapy Pad Safe?
Yes, red light therapy is safe and side-effect-free, as long as you follow instructions, do not overuse (more than 20 minutes twice a day), and remove it from your skin if it gets too hot to be comfortable.
👉 See more questions about red light therapy – answered
How Often Can You Use Red Light Therapy Wraps?
Generally, you can use red light therapy pads 2-3 times a day for 20 minutes each time. However, LED wraps differ in strength and intensity so it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
Can Red Light Therapy Penetrate Through Clothes?
Yes, red light therapy can penetrate through clothes. However, it can be used directly on bare skin, and the closer it is to your skin the better the light penetration and treatment results.
Questions? comments? we’re always here to answer – use the comment section or message us directly on our Facebook page 😊
To your health and happiness,
Roche GC, Shanks S, Jackson RF, Holsey LJ. Low-Level Laser Therapy for Reducing the Hip, Waist, and Upper Abdomen Circumference of Individuals with Obesity. Photomed Laser Surg. 2017 Mar;35(3):142-149. doi: 10.1089/pho.2016.4172. Epub 2016 Dec 9. PMID: 27935737.
Croghan IT, Hurt RT, Schroeder DR, Fokken SC, Jensen MD, Clark MM, Ebbert JO. Low-level laser therapy for weight reduction: a randomized pilot study. Lasers Med Sci. 2020 Apr;35(3):663-675. doi: 10.1007/s10103-019-02867-5. Epub 2019 Aug 31. PMID: 31473867.
Ablon G. Phototherapy with Light Emitting Diodes: Treating a Broad Range of Medical and Aesthetic Conditions in Dermatology. J Clin Aesthet Dermatol. 2018;11(2):21-27.