What’s the best infrared heating pad for muscle, joint, and nerve pain relief?
What are the pros and cons of IR heating pads?
👉 Most of the FIR heating pads you’ll find below use natural stones (Jade/Amethyst) to deliver the therapeutic infrared wavelength.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Table of Contents
- 1 The 5 BEST Infrared Heating Pads (2020 Reviews)
- 2 How Do Infrared Heating Pads Work?
- 3 How Do You Use an Infrared Heating Pad?
- 4 Who Can Benefit from Infrared Heating Wraps & Pads?
- 5 Infrared Heating Pads FAQ
The 5 BEST Infrared Heating Pads (2020 Reviews)
First, see our short comparison table. Below you’ll find our detailed far infrared heating pad reviews.
|Healing Therapies||Temperature Settings||Our Rating||Price|
|UTK Infrared Heating Pads||Far Infrared Therapy|
Crystal therapy (Jade/Tourmaline)
(Jump to Review)
|Get a 15% Discount on the small size or medium size|
|Ereada Infrared Heating Pads||Far & Mid Infrared Therapy|
Crystal Therapy (Amethyst)
|86 - 158°F||4.8|
(Jump to review)
|Check price on official site|
|Richway Amethyst Mini Mat||Far Infrared Therapy|
|95 – 158°F||4.7|
(Jump to review)
|Best Price HERE|
|HealthyLine Infrared Heating Pad||Far Infrared Therapy|
Crystal Therapy (Jade/Tourmaline)
|Up to 160°F||4.5|
(Jump to review)
|Check Price on Amazon|
|Thermotex Infrared Heating Pad||Far Infrared Therapy|
(Via Carbon Fiber)
(Jump to review)
|Check Price on Amazon|
1. 🥇 UTK Infrared Heating Pads
The UTK infrared heating pads are out top choice for several years, and for good reasons:
The company has a good reputation and is a long-time player in the infrared technology world.
The company offers great customer service (we know by personal experience!)
The IR pads are well-built, sturdy (yet flexible and can be folded), last for years, and deliver high temperatures and low EMF radiation.
This is also one of the most reasonably priced Zero EMF heating pads you will find.
👉 See all models and sizes on Amazon
📢 2020 update: UTK has just released a new low back infrared (no EMF) belt – specially designed for lower back pain relief with infrared heat delivered via Jade stones. Since it’s smaller, the price is also smaller (less than $60!).
UTK Infrared Heating Pad Pros
- Heats up fast, Jade stones and negative ions
- Extra-long electric cord
- Temp and time controller
- The jade heating pad is pliable and portable.
- It is available in multiple sizes.
- The user can adjust settings using the hand-held controller.
- The pad comes with a handy carrying case.
📢 See my full, detailed review for all the UTK Infrared Heating Pad models.
- Can’t be folded around the neck
2. Ereada Infrared Heating Pads (with Negative Ions/PEMF Magnetism)
The Ereada infrared heating pads (with negative ions/PEMF magnetism) are made in Korea for the past 20 years and are lined with high grade natural, untreated Amethyst crystals from edge to edge.
This advanced EMF-free infrared heating system is based on twisted titanium wires in a copper net, silicon, and Teflon insulation to preheat the stones.
The soft and waterproof cover includes 3D air mesh pads to protect the pads and make it very comfortable for long treatments or even to sleep on.
There are 3 types to choose from:
1. The brown series – infrared emitting Amethyst stones (86~158°F) with no EMF emission, and 600v DC of Electrical Discharged Negative Ions – recharging your body during treatment. Come in 7 different sizes!
2. The grey series – bio-magnetic PEMF Amethyst mats – Amethyst stones are covered with high-end grey suede (heat and sweat resistant) and come with very low-frequency pulsation magnetic coils (adjustable!) – which create the magnetic field above the infrared mat – similar to the earth’s natural one.
3. The purple series – with permanent Magnets and Red Light 660Nm Photon LEDs, PEMF, and negative ions.
The company has great customer service and a reliable warranty (the package even arrives with a prepaid return shipping label, in case you have any trouble with it!)
Ereada Infrared Heating Pads Pros
- Most versatile and high-grade infrared heating pads on the market
- Include adjustable PEMF therapy and negative ions – to powerfully recharge your body (naturally)
- High-grade Amethyst crystals, certified as A or A+ grades and tested by the Korean Gemological Institute
- Come in many sizes to choose from
- The cover is high quality, washable and comfortable for sleep
- Great customer service
- Warranty is for personal and commercial use
- Lifespan 3-4 times longer than pads made in China
More expensive than most IR heating pads (but for good reasons)
✅ Compare prices on the official site!
3. Richway Amethyst Mini Mat
The Richway Amethyst BioMat is probably the most well-known full-body infrared heating pad for the past few years, but we want to recommend their size – the MiniMat, which is still very large (20″ x 34″ x 1″), can be used on a chair and can be taken to travel or work with its fancy suitcase.
Amethyst Mini Mat pros
- Covers the entire back and neck
- Overheat protection
- Digital controller
- Storage and carry bag
- Easy to set-up
- EMF free
- Multilayer waterproof cover
- Adjustable temperature settings
- Hard surface (yet comfortable for me)
4. Thermotex Platinum Heating Pad
The Thermotex IR heating pad does not come with natural stones but uses carbon fiber to emit the infrared rays all the way to your muscles, nerves, and bones.
Some claim that carbon fiber is less efficient for infrared treatments, but users still love this affordable heat pad.
Plus, carbon fiber is used in all portable infrared saunas on the market and proven to be just as effective (though the EMF radiation tends to be a bit higher).
Thermotex Platinum Infrared Pad Pros
- Easy to keep in place with Velcro straps
- Can be used almost anywhere on your body
- Temperature up to 140 F
- Made in Canada, high-quality materials
- 3 heating elements
- Some people found it a bit stiff
- May emit some EMF radiation
5. HealthyLine Infrared Heating Pads
HealthyLineI Infrared Heating Pads Pros
- Jade and Tourmaline stones to emit infrared heat
- High-quality materials, durable
- Adjustable temperature
- LED remote control
- Made in the USA
- Comes in multiple sizes
- No session timer
- The large one is expensive
How Do Infrared Heating Pads Work?
IR heating pads deliver far-infrared rays (the invisible part of the sunlight spectrum, felt as heat) either through semi-precious stones (Tourmaline/Jade/Amethyst) or carbon fiber material deep into your body tissues – all the way to your muscles, joints, and spine.
The human body easily absorbs far-infrared heat and it also produces this type of light energy on its own, making this specific heat energy treatment completely natural.
The thermal effect of IR rays causes increased blood flow quickly, which helps deliver pain-relieving and healing blood components to arrive better and more quickly to the injured area.
Infrared Heating Pads Pros & Cons
Infrared heating pads are superior to “regular” heating pads because the natural heat penetrates deeper into your body (up to 3 inches inside) all the way to your muscles, bones, and nerves.
Infrared therapy is scientifically proven to quickly relieve pain, reduce stress, promote blood flow, and boost healing and recovering from any injury or condition – anywhere in your body.
(👉 See 14 PROVEN benefits of infrared light therapy )
The only con in using them is the possible exposure to EMF (electromagnetic field) radiation. That’s why I only chose the lowest EMF IR heat pads available on the market.
How Do You Use an Infrared Heating Pad?
The high-quality FIR pads you’ve found here are all easy to use.
All you have to do is place them over the problem area (or the root-cause area, for example, the lower back if you have Sciatica), choose a temperature setting and treatment time, and relax.
When treatment is over, the IR heat pad will automatically shut off, and if you don’t comfortably fall asleep, you’ll feel completely relaxed, rejuvenated, and pain-free.
👉You can use it every day, and some people use it twice or more a day, for 30-45 minutes – with no side effects.
Who Can Benefit from Infrared Heating Wraps & Pads?
Anyone with an acute injury or chronic condition involving all types of pain and inflammation can greatly benefit from an FIR heat pad, including people with:
- Muscle aches and pains
- Muscle spasms
- Hip pain
- Arthritis pain, joint pain, and stiffness
- Menstrual cramps
- Nerve pain from a pinched nerve and Peripheral Neuropathy
- Heel spurs
- Foot pain
- Chronic fatigue
- Overweight (use a full-body wrap)
- And much more.
Infrared Heating Pads FAQ
👉 See more about infrared vs. regular heating pads
👉 Most IR pads come with a timer that you set to automatically shut off after you fall asleep.
In this post you’ve found the 5 best infrared heating pads – reviewed, compared, and rated – to help you make the right buy for you.
👉 Through my research, my updated recommendation is the UTK infrared heating pads. See my full review HERE.
I hope you’ve found this comparison helpful!
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments, o.k? 😊
To your health and happiness,
Gale GD, Rothbart PJ, Li Y. Infrared therapy for chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial. Pain Res Manag. 2006;11(3):193–196. doi:10.1155/2006/876920
Masuda A, Koga Y, Hattanmaru M, Minagoe S, Tei C: The Effects of Repeated Thermal Therapy for Patients with Chronic Pain. Psychother Psychosom 2005;74:288-294. doi: 10.1159/000086319