What’s the best infrared heating pad for muscle, joint, and nerve pain relief?
What are the pros and cons of IR heating pads?
In this post, you’ll find my reviews and comparison for the 5 best-selling infrared heating pads of 2021 and the pros and cons of each one.
👉 Most of the FIR heating pads you’ll find below use natural stones (Jade/Amethyst) to deliver the therapeutic infrared wavelength.
This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate policy.
Table of Contents
- 1 The 5 BEST Infrared Heating Pads (2021 Reviews)
- 2 How Do Infrared Heating Pads Work?
- 3 How Much Do Infrared Heating Pads Cost?
- 4 How Do You Use an Infrared Heating Pad?
- 5 Who Can Benefit from Infrared Heating Wraps & Pads?
- 6 Infrared Heating Pads FAQ
The 5 BEST Infrared Heating Pads (2021 Reviews)
Infrared heating pads are the most common infrared therapy home devices.
First, see our short comparison table. Below you’ll find our detailed far infrared heating pad reviews.
|Bottom Line||Healing Therapies||Temperature Settings||Price|
|UTK Infrared Heating Pads||🥇Best Value|
Jump to Review
|Far Infrared Therapy|
Crystal therapy (Jade/Tourmaline)
|103-159°F||✅Get 15% OFF on this Amazon page!|
|Ereada Infrared Heating Pads||Best with PEMF|
Jump to Review
|Far & Mid Infrared Therapy|
Crystal Therapy (Amethyst)
|86 - 158°F||✅Check price at Ereada|
|Thermotex Infrared Heating Pad||Best Wearable|
Jump to Review
|Far Infrared Therapy|
(Via Carbon Fiber)
|111-140°F||✅Check Price on Amazon|
|Richway Amethyst Mini Mat||Best Mini Mat|
Jump to Review
|Far Infrared Therapy|
|95 – 158°F||✅Best Price HERE|
|HealthyLine Infrared Heating Pad||Jump to Review||Far Infrared Therapy|
Crystal Therapy (Jade/Tourmaline)
|Up to 160°F||✅Check Price on Amazon|
1.🥇 UTK Infrared Heating Pads Best Overall
The UTK infrared heating pads are our top choice for several years, and for good reasons:
The company has a good reputation and is a long-time player in the infrared technology world, and they offer great customer service (we know by personal experience!)
The IR pads are well-built, sturdy (yet flexible and can be folded), last for years, and deliver high temperatures and low EMF radiation. This is also one of the most reasonably priced Zero EMF heating pad you will find.
👉 See all models and sizes on Amazon
📢 2020 update: UTK has just released a new lower back infrared belt – specially designed for lower back pain relief with infrared heat delivered via Jade stones. Since it’s smaller, the price is also smaller (less than $60!).
UTK Infrared Heating Pad Pros
- Heats up fast, Jade stones and negative ions
- Extra-long electric cord
- Temp and time controller
- The jade heating pad is pliable and portable.
- It is available in multiple sizes.
- The user can adjust settings using the hand-held controller.
- The pad comes with a handy carrying case.
- Can’t be folded around the neck
2. Ereada Infrared Heating Pads Best with PEMF
The Ereada infrared heating pads (with negative ions/PEMF magnetism) are made in Korea for the past 20 years and are lined with high-grade natural, untreated Amethyst crystals from edge to edge.
This advanced EMF-free infrared heating system is based on twisted titanium wires in a copper net, silicon, and Teflon insulation to preheat the stones.
The soft and waterproof cover includes 3D air mesh pads to protect the pads that make them very comfortable for long treatments or even to sleep on.
There are 3 types to choose from:
1. The brown series – infrared emitting Amethyst stones (86~158°F) with no EMF emission, and 600v DC of Electrical Discharged Negative Ions – recharging your body during treatment. Come in 7 different sizes!
2. The grey series – bio-magnetic PEMF Amethyst mats – Amethyst stones are covered with high-end grey suede (heat and sweat resistant) and come with very low-frequency pulsation magnetic coils (adjustable!) – which create the magnetic field above the infrared mat – similar to the earth’s natural one.
3. The purple series – with permanent Magnets and Red Light 660Nm Photon LEDs, PEMF, and negative ions.
The company has great customer service and a reliable warranty (the package even arrives with a prepaid return shipping label, in case you have any trouble with it!)
Ereada Infrared Heating Pads Pros
- Most versatile and high-grade infrared heating pads on the market
- Include adjustable PEMF therapy and negative ions – to powerfully recharge your body (naturally)
- High-grade Amethyst crystals, certified as A or A+ grades and tested by the Korean Gemological Institute
- Come in many sizes to choose from
- The cover is high quality, washable, and comfortable for sleep
- Great customer service
- Warranty is for personal and commercial use
- Lifespan is 3-4 times longer than pads made in China
More expensive than most IR heating pads (but for good reasons)
✅ Compare prices on the official site!
3. Thermotex Platinum Heating Pad Best Wearable
The Thermotex IR heating pad does not come with natural stones but uses carbon fiber to emit infrared rays all the way to your muscles, nerves, and bones. Some claim that carbon fiber is less efficient for infrared treatments, but users still love this affordable heat pad.
Plus, carbon fiber is used in all portable infrared saunas on the market and proven to be just as effective (though the EMF radiation tends to be a bit higher).
Thermotex Platinum Infrared Pad Pros
- Easy to keep in place with Velcro straps
- Can be used almost anywhere on your body
- Temperature up to 140 F
- Made in Canada, high-quality materials
- 3 heating elements
- Some people found it a bit stiff
- May emit some EMF radiation
4. Richway Amethyst Mini Mat
The Richway Amethyst BioMat is probably the most well-known full-body infrared heating pad for the past few years, but we want to recommend their smaller size – the Mini Mat, which is still very large (20″ x 34″ x 1″), can be used on a chair and can be taken to travel or work with its fancy suitcase.
Amethyst Mini Mat pros
- Covers the entire back and neck
- Overheat protection
- Digital controller
- Storage and carry bag
- Easy to set-up
- EMF free
- Multilayer waterproof cover
- Adjustable temperature settings
- Hard surface (yet comfortable for me)
5. HealthyLine Infrared Heating Pads
The Healthy Line far infrared heating pads are composed of Jade and tourmaline stones ensconced in circular meshes across the length of the Heating pads, comes with a digital controller, and contains EMF protection layers.
This FIR heating pad could be a good alternative for the UTK heating pads, but we’ve seen over the years that the company tends to often run out of supplies or disappear from stores, which never happens with the UTK brand.
HealthyLineI Infrared Heating Pads Pros
- Jade and Tourmaline stones to emit infrared heat
- High-quality materials, durable
- Adjustable temperature
- LED remote control
- Made in the USA
- Comes in multiple sizes
- No session timer
- The large one is expensive
✅ Price – check sake price on Amazon today
How Do Infrared Heating Pads Work?
IR heating pads deliver far-infrared rays (the invisible part of the sunlight spectrum, felt as heat) either through semi-precious stones (Tourmaline/Jade/Amethyst) or carbon fiber material deep into your body tissues – all the way to your muscles, joints, and spine.
The human body easily absorbs far-infrared heat and it also produces this type of light energy on its own, making this specific heat energy treatment completely natural.
The thermal effect of IR rays causes increased blood flow quickly, which helps deliver pain-relieving and healing blood components to arrive better and more quickly to the injured area.
Infrared Heating Pads Pros and Cons
Infrared heating pads are superior to “regular” heating pads because the natural heat penetrates deeper into your body (up to 3 inches inside) all the way to your muscles, bones, and nerves. EMF radiation is lower compared with regular pads since most of them come with EMF shielding.
Infrared therapy is scientifically proven to quickly relieve pain, reduce stress, promote blood flow, and boost healing and recovery – from any injury or condition.
👉 See 14 PROVEN benefits of infrared light therapy
Infrared heating pads cons are that they are heavier in weight, take a longer time to heat up, and some of them are not flexible and you can’t wrap them around curvy body parts. They cost more than regular heating pads (mostly because of the semi-precious stones inside) and are bulkier and a bit harder to move around.
How Much Do Infrared Heating Pads Cost?
The price of infrared heating pads ranges from $65 to $800 and more (for full-body size or extra healing therapies) and is based on the material (Jade/Tourmaline pads are more expensive than carbon fiber pads), the size and treatment area, brand reputation, EMF shielding, and safety components.
For example, for under $70 you can expect to find small-sized jade heating pads and belts, or carbon fiber heating pads. These pads will only fit small treatment areas in your body and will have only basic features. Jade pads are always a better choice, since they come with EMF shielding, and the stones emit natural negative ions.
Mid-range far infrared heating pads cost between $110 to $150. They are the best-value pads because they are larger, they include a digital controller, natural stones, and negative ions. Our top recommendations are the UTK small infrared heating pad, and iReliev FIR heating pad.
High-end infrared heating pads cost between $250 to $800 and are usually medium-large size, with jade/tourmaline/amethyst stones, and some of them include PEMF therapy. Our top recommendation is Medicrystal infrared heating pads. Their best value model is the Classic Amethyst Infrared Heat Mat and we highly recommend their model with PEMF (pulsating magnetic intensity) therapy.
How Do You Use an Infrared Heating Pad?
Infrared heating pads are very simple to use. All you have to do is place them over the problem area (or the root-cause area, for example, the lower back if you have sciatica), choose a temperature setting and treatment time, and relax.
When treatment is over, the IR heat pad will automatically shut off, and if you don’t comfortably fall asleep, you’ll feel completely relaxed, rejuvenated, and pain-free. You can use it every day, and some people use it twice or more a day, for 30-45 minutes – with no side effects.
Who Can Benefit from Infrared Heating Wraps & Pads?
Anyone with an acute injury or chronic condition involving all types of pain and inflammation can greatly benefit from an FIR heat pad, including people with:
- Muscle aches and pains
- Muscle spasms
- Hip pain
- Arthritis pain, joint pain, and stiffness
- Menstrual cramps
- Nerve pain from a pinched nerve and Peripheral Neuropathy
- Heel spurs
- Foot pain
- Chronic fatigue
- Overweight (use a full-body wrap)
Infrared Heating Pads FAQ
In this post you’ve found the 5 best infrared heating pads – reviewed, compared, and rated – to help you make the right buy for you.
👉 Through my research, my updated recommendation is the UTK infrared heating pads. See my full review HERE.
I hope you’ve found this comparison helpful!
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments, o.k? 😊
To your health and happiness,
Gale GD, Rothbart PJ, Li Y. Infrared therapy for chronic low back pain: a randomized, controlled trial. Pain Res Manag. 2006;11(3):193–196. doi:10.1155/2006/876920
Masuda A, Koga Y, Hattanmaru M, Minagoe S, Tei C: The Effects of Repeated Thermal Therapy for Patients with Chronic Pain. Psychother Psychosom 2005;74:288-294. doi: 10.1159/000086319